An old Corky bark elm.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Here is an elm I grew from a 4" starter about 30 years ago and some recent changes.

Grants Corkybark elm Nov 2011 - black backgroun.jpg This is it today in November 2011
Corky Bark Elm - GB - 2006-8-25.jpgThis was it in 2006
Corky Bark Elm - GB - 2010-8-18.jpg This was it last year in 2010 after a hard prune to change direction.

I intend to allow the silhouette to expand about 2 inches this year and merge.

grant

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another beauty Grant, many older trees, good for everyone to see that bringing a tree up from sticks to stunning, is possible.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice rugged tree. For your change of direction, it looks as though you are going to grow the branches more horizontally ? Also, the tree is in a very shallow pot. Is the base all root ? Or is there some soil mix in there as well ? thx.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree. Cool that you have so much history with the tree. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The base of this tree seems so emotional. Quite impressive. Maybe how the soil surface meets the tree emphasizes that in my mind.

Reaction score
Nice rugged tree. For your change of direction, it looks as though you are going to grow the branches more horizontally ? Also, the tree is in a very shallow pot. Is the base all root ? Or is there some soil mix in there as well ? thx.

The pot and root system are very shallow. The tree has spent all its life in bonsai pots. I repotted it this year into a mix that allows water in and out easilly and it is not especially thirsty.

The current pot is quite broad and does hold more soil than it looks.

As to the growth of branches I want the branches to keep dividing up and down to put some real interest and character into the tree after the hard prune. The branches were getting too long and boring.

Grant

Reaction score
Another beauty Grant, many older trees, good for everyone to see that bringing a tree up from sticks to stunning, is possible.

People forget that it is a good way to grow a tree. You can start with very inexpensive material and just let it slowly mature.

Grant

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice. Good call on cutting back, it looks better already. I think I would like a smaller, deeper, darker oval pot though. Powerful tree, dainty pot.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Thats a stunning tree and may answer my question about what kind of tree i found in the nursery a couple of month's back. The bark is identical and the leaves almost so but the leaves do not appear to be shedding or even changing to autumn colour. Apart from that there is no difference. Could it just be late to do so or a slightly different variety or do i have something totally different. I can't take photos just now as my camera is finally broken beyond repeair and the one on my phone is crap. If this is the same tree how well do they back bud because i was planning on cutting mine right back to the first branch.

Top Bottom