An old Japanese shimpaku

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's an old shimpaku being sold in Japan for about $4700. I am pretty sure this is a true yamadori, though it doesn't say in the description. I would love to see this styled by a master - it is not particularly challenging, but in one afternoon I think you would have an amazing tree. The fundamentals are all there...

shimpa1.jpg

shimpa2.jpg

shimpa3.jpg

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a material with tremendous potential and character.

It also has huge issues to deal with. Right now, it has a terrible design, because the big problems that the tree has were not turned into assets. It is awkward and ugly - but that's all good.

This is the kind of material that a creative artist can dream of. I would pay a small fortune to see what Kimura could make out of this, in a demo (I would also pay a small fortune to have the tree for myself, and work with it .. so I need two identical ones: one to give to Kimura to style it, and the other one to style myself. Then I can compare the two:))

It has to be a Yamadori, nobody would create such an awkward material from scratch.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Too bad it's in Japan :(

Harry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is awkward and ugly - but that's all good.

It has to be a Yamadori, nobody would create such an awkward material from scratch.

I agree with both of these statements. At the risk of starting the whole "yamadori versus nursery" discussion, I find it fascinating how some material from the wild appears so ugly on the surface, but there is a masterwork lying beneath, while some nursery material appears so perfect on the surface, and yet doesn't have the strength of character (or uniqueness, or intrigue). I don't know how to put it better. This tree has power.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with both of these statements. At the risk of starting the whole "yamadori versus nursery" discussion, I find it fascinating how some material from the wild appears so ugly on the surface, but there is a masterwork lying beneath, while some nursery material appears so perfect on the surface, and yet doesn't have the strength of character (or uniqueness, or intrigue). I don't know how to put it better. This tree has power.

I prefer to appreciate yamadori and nursery material on their own merits, no argument from me, BIG waste of time. Apples and oranges. I would love to turn Marco loose on this tree.

Top Bottom