An opinion poll, just for fun....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Two pictures of the the same tree, one original and one I hacked up for my own enjoyment. Ok, would you leave it alone, maybe make some changes similar to my crude virt or would you separate it into two completely different trees ?

Harry

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 104
  • modified.JPG
    modified.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they could be safely separated, that might make 2 very good trees.

I like this....

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 17

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Leave it alone!!! The original tree is phenominal the way it is. Splitting it will leave you with good trees but not as good as together.

Keep the deadwood.... killer tree.

Jason

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Since you asked...

While I like both of your images better than Mojosan's overall, those individual trees did bring to light a nagging issue with your original tree. While it's a visually appealing bonsai, it really doesn't look like a "tree". The extraneous deadwood that you removed in the virt makes me think that on some level you recognize that the original looks more like an interesting deadwood project than a real tree you might encounter in nature.

<understatement>Now I'm no expert</understatement> but I'm sure there are others here who could point out excellent examples of real-world trees that have a lot of surrounding deadwood that's not part of the trunk/branch structure of the main tree that might be composed in a similar manner to what you have here, but I think we'd find that it looks quite different than the deadwood on your tree. I would guess that it would mainly be an issue of scale.

So, in the end, I think the original image with some serious refinement of the deadwood could make a better overall composition, but as it stands now, the second image has a lot of potential on it's own and looks far more tree-like than the other.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OMG don't remove the deadwood! Or else, if you feel you have to, sell this tree to me! :)

Here is what I think when I look at the tree. The virt is extremely heavy-handed and there are many things wrong with it (too much foilage, not enough ability to show foilage layering in virtual, etc) but it will hopefully show you an option to consider. Oh and ALWAYS display this tree against a dark background so the deadwood pops. Planting angle is important too - make sure that the jin on the left and the jin on the right are not the same height. I don't think it is bad right now, but if you are going to tilt it a little, make sure you go left and not right.

orig1.jpg

orig3.jpg

Recommended shift in planting angle:

orig4.jpg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please don't separate, leave the deadwood alone except to refine it, the tree just needs to be styled. It would be a crime to cut this in two.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
'morons' humble opinion

This is a great example of plant that had a pile of all the right ingredients. Beautiful deadwood, twisting vein of life, nice tight green foliage but......it is missing the main design element, form. No matter what way you turn it, no matter how many pieces you chop it into, it will not have the traditional form we look for in bonsai.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I didn't buy it, it was too big for me to handle on a regular basis.
Harry

Attachments

• virt5.JPG
    virt5.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Holy smoke, I didn't know that! To me it's a interesting piece of dead wood with helmets on top to force you into thinking tree. It just doesn't have the mojo in picture. Maybe in person, it might be drop dead gorgeous. Keep looking Harry but let us know if you are going to sell the koi to buy it next time.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Holy smoke, I didn't know that! To me it's a interesting piece of dead wood with helmets on top to force you into thinking tree. It just doesn't have the mojo in picture. Maybe in person, it might be drop dead gorgeous. Keep looking Harry but let us know if you are going to sell the koi to buy it next time.

I would never sell any of my girls, I love em, warts and all.

Harry

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like very much what bosnainut did. And heer my enhanced version.

To divide or get rid of the deadwood would be a crime.

Attachments

• orig5.jpg
    orig5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Are you joking? Did you just get some new power tools you want to try out? Put them down and slowly back away! You can fix this tree without them.

Mark

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
flexibility

Nice work Mr. Pall, now Harry is going to kill me. The overall composition might not be classical in proportions but it does have an interesting image of wild trees. Make it fast Harry, I can't take pain.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definately leave it as the original, as far as too much dead wood, no way, if you want to see these hike to the tree line on some higher mts., or wind blown barrens, full of life for parts of the year, struggling against the elements in the rest.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere these broken down twisted old trees are called krummholz. I just love that word. It's probably the German blood.
photo credit unknown shutter bug

Attachments

• max pine.jpg
    max pine.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Please listen to JasonG and DaveTree

Please do not seperate them!!!

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I read somewhere these broken down twisted old trees are called krummholz. I just love that word. It's probably the German blood.
photo credit unknown shutter bug

You sure you didn't get that from Dr. Seuss???

Top Bottom