An optimistic Virt for a collected White Cedar

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this White Cedar this fall, it has some loose and rugged foliage. Tree is about 2.5ft with an almost 10'' base. It was a rooted branch off of an old cut down stump on my property, I have been nursing it along making sure it had enough roots until collection this fall. It was not growing in full sun so the foliage on this one was floppier than usual. Hopefully I can control the foliage enough to make something close to my virt. There is some interesting deadwood and current branches at the base that I plan to turn into jin, I may also put some shari in down the road.

Or maybe it won't work out at all and Ill plant it as an interesting bush/tree in my yard :).WC virt tall.JPG

I know the virt looks a little hard to accomplish but a guy can dream right? Plus virts are fun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you plan on grafting on something.
There are 5 or 6 finger sized branches coming from the "green" area of my virtual. Getting enough interior foliage may be an issue. The interior foliage is there but it is very small. One of your Larch posts inspired me to try some thread grafts. Have you tried it on WC? Let me know if you have any recommendations for this tree :).

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find the funny thing with WC is that as a landscape plant they can be hedge cut like crazy, and grow like mad. When we tend to over think/fuss over them, they can be fussy! I think if you boost up that growth and keep control of the growth you could make a beauty tree. Good thing we have guys on this site like @crust and other northern folk who can share their experience and knowledge on a under utilized species. Good luck, and keep us updated! I am workin some WC as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree Wilson and I would love to see some of your WC. WC has its issues but I love how unique they can be.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most verts are optimistic and they should be. It gives you a goal and something to reference if you forget where your going. I don't know anything about WC but I like the vert and think it is obtainable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mind the rough looking foliage that WC has but imagine what could be done if there was a way to make it look like Shimpaku foliage! If I can get something even remotely close to the density in the attached WC I think it will work out, i'm not sure whose tree I have attached but it is one of my favorites. Mine is a big tree which definitely helps.

Attachments

• thuja1.jpg
    thuja1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 45

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I almost purchased a white cedar a Mont ago. Brilliant trees once you understand them. May still go back and buy the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20161004_155514021.jpg
    IMG_20161004_155514021.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chicago I like that tree, looks like a fun one go get it :). White Cedar is a perfect example of an under explored American species. I hope we see more and more of them in the future. In my part of the world they are maybe the most exciting yamadori around.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
There are 5 or 6 finger sized branches coming from the "green" area of my virtual. Getting enough interior foliage may be an issue. The interior foliage is there but it is very small. One of your Larch posts inspired me to try some thread grafts. Have you tried it on WC? Let me know if you have any recommendations for this tree :).
I like the nice casual upright form. It is not a hyper-dynamic form that can justify and handle the normal WC mane so I may be tempted to change the foliage out. If I were inspired and had this tree I would focus on increasing vigor and adding green then back graft Hinoki on it (see Lenz book)--not a super dwarf variety like obtusa gracis but a more vigorous but still compact one. The question is--is the trunk cool enough to justify this long-term process? 3 years to set grafts and years of development to follow. Thread grafts and approach grafts and standard grafting work fine with vigorous WC, using either WC or Hinoki. Some folks even graft on Shimp!(The Chinese, Mark Comstock), but this(shimp), I have never done. Of course, you could just let it be WC.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the nice casual upright form. It is not a hyper-dynamic form that can justify and handle the normal WC mane so I may be tempted to change the foliage out. If I were inspired and had this tree I would focus on increasing vigor and adding green then back graft Hinoki on it (see Lenz book)--not a super dwarf variety like obtusa gracis but a more vigorous but still compact one. The question is--is the trunk cool enough to justify this long-term process? 3 years to set grafts and years of development to follow. Thread grafts and approach grafts and standard grafting work fine with vigorous WC, using either WC or Hinoki. Some folks even graft on Shimp!(The Chinese, Mark Comstock), but this(shimp), I have never done. Of course, you could just let it be WC.
Thanks Crust, some good stuff to think about. If im being honest I think Hinoki on this tree would look better than White Cedar but WC could look really good as well. It is not as old as a few of my other Cedars but it is big and has a nice side to side and front to back flow to it. The main reason I may not try Hinoki is because I can't seem to keep Hinoki vigorous in my garden and until I figure that out it wont be an option for me. For now just add alot of healthy green is the goal.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... and adding green then back graft Hinoki on it (see Lenz book)--not a super dwarf variety like obtusa gracis but a more vigorous but still compact one. The question is--is the trunk cool enough to justify this long-term process? 3 years to set grafts and years of development to follow. Thread grafts and approach grafts and standard grafting work fine with vigorous WC, using either WC or Hinoki. Some folks even graft on Shimp!(The Chinese, Mark Comstock), but this(shimp), I have never done. Of course, you could just let it be WC.
This is a very nice trunk. I always wonder why someone would change the foliage choosing hinoki. The HC and it's foliage is troublesome enough to profit from it, sure my opinion. I would let it WC or go for shimpaku if it's doable.

Top Bottom