An unseen element in display

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
This tokonoma display incorporates ikebana ( flower arraingement) as something different than the usual bonsai. Suiseki ( rock appreciation) is often used as well depending on the reason for the display or the season. As i work thru grasping the different schools of ikebana,
I see so much in their presentation with design work on bonsai.
While this type of display will be occassional, There is one element that will be seen on a constant basis and that is my new scroll. It was gift and will represent a friendship that negates the miles of separation. The scroll accepts both sizes of artistry boards and seems to fill the tokonoma space of mine ( a little smaller than standard) nicely. A few boards of insects and flowers were also given to be used in my spring presentations.
Art work on the scroll here, includes a lone duck/goose associated with migration/fall and a pair of kites, holding steady in the winds of change for fall. It seems appropriate as september is neither summer and yet not quite fall here on the flatlands of washington state.But in the heights of the cascade mountains, the coming of winter can easily be felt in th chill of the mornings Only too shortly will the lone rose be but a memory of the joy that was summer.
In 12 days, I turn another year...well, wiser...and blessed to have something to be passionate about ( the art of display) but what is more significant is not seen or readily put on display and that is the friendships made during a lifetime. Thank-you Smoke for your generosity! a journey void of companionship can make for a very long road., indeed!

Attachments

• IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 34

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That duck is rockin.

While the kites are pretty unique as a subject for a display, I am a little leary of introducing too much of an image of man. While they can depict a season allright, they don't tell of nature.

...but for overall fun I ike it. It tells "your" story.

Thanks, Al

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I appreciate your insight into the kites as an extenstion of man...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While they can depict a season allright, they don't tell of nature.

But they do depict nature --- as wind... and they have a whimsical quality, of childhood memories. sweet.

Love the duck.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I keep reading this post referred to as a Toko no Ma...but without the Hashira (pillars), I am unable to judge whether this is a Honshoute or Gyakushoute toko no ma...
For those interested in the Japanese:
Hashira 柱
Tokonoma 床の間
Honshoute Tokonoma 本勝手床の間
Gyakushoute Tokonoma 逆勝手床の間

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be interesting to know why that matters.

I am under the impression that Tokonoma simply means floor space. I am not sure why pillers matter at all.

Maybe we should call it an alcove to keep from obviously distorting it's Japanese meaning?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know why that matters.

I am under the impression that Tokonoma simply means floor space. I am not sure why pillers matter at all.

Maybe we should call it an alcove to keep from obviously distorting it's Japanese meaning?

I think some of the points regarding the concept of Shoute were referenced in a separate post in this display forum quite a few months ago, but a certain member stated that, "I was overthinking it". At that point I decided against any further discussion or clarification about the concept of Shoute...until others were more open to other opinions and ideas.

As for your second point about pillars being important or not...I would pose a research project for you to go look through your display books (I believe you stated you had some Keidou books) and study the differences in the pictures of the displays when they use the words 席飾り versus 床飾り or 床の間飾り
If your computer does not read the characters send me a PM with your email and I will send you the characters in PDF so they will be legible.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Of course people strive for the authentic taste of the Japanese,it's not easy,it's Hello Kitty.

For me i am reminded as an old Disney Sci-fi epic;the Black Hole.

Top Bottom