An unusual Trident

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's an unusual tree. I purchased it at the Brussel's Rendevous several years ago. I found the massive cascading first branch really interesting and unusual in a trident. Here's a picture from this past winter. I'd grown long whips during the previous growing season in preparation for grafting. The next picture was taken after pruning and two approach grafts.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 2,090
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 2,027

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There was a large wound on the trunk that had been neglected and some major root corrections necessary. I cleaned out the wound and sealed it. There is a branch that is too large for its position high on the trunk that will eventually need to be removed. I left it for now to help heal over the trunk wound. I removed the offending roots with a chisel. After pruning, grafting and nebari work, I repotted. That was a huge undertaking as the tree had not been repotted in many years.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,789
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,564
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,490
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,484
Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This spring I wired out the new shoots and thinned the spring growth.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,434
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,400
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 1,386

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And here is the tree this summer. Grafts have taken, but I've not yet detached the branch. The small wires are to girdle the branch upstream of the graft union. I've removed about 1/3 of the branch before the graft and pulled the grafting tacks. The place where I chiseled the roots is healing over well. I grow my tridents in full sun (or at least what passes for it in my yard - full sun from 7:30 am until about 3pm this time of year. Then they're shaded by the house.). Note the new shoots - in Houston, we get growth all summer - there is no summer dormancy that some report in other parts of Texas. Temperatures are a bit cooler and humidity is about eleventy million percent higher. Maybe that's why.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 1,349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 1,223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The wound on the trunk will take longer to heal. The rot has stopped, but it will take many years to heal over. Or I can try and carve it out to make a feature. I'm agnostic at this point, but I'd like to hear some input. Here's a picture of the trunk wound. The large branch on the right will have to be removed eventually.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 1,294

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
The wound on the trunk will take longer to heal. The rot has stopped, but it will take many years to heal over. Or I can try and carve it out to make a feature. I'm agnostic at this point, but I'd like to hear some input. Here's a picture of the trunk wound. The large branch on the right will have to be removed eventually.

Scott

Scott I like it! A massive tree. I like what you're doing with it. Keep us posted.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
None of the later pictures let me see what you did with the humongous lower, cascading branch. Is it still there?

I'm not sure that I would have bought it -- but then, I didn't, so that doesn't matter.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
None of the later pictures let me see what you did with the humongous lower, cascading branch. Is it still there?

I'm not sure that I would have bought it -- but then, I didn't, so that doesn't matter.

Still there. And there it will remain as long as I own it. For me, it is what makes the tree unique. But because of that it won't appeal to everyone. It certainly didn't appeal to me the first time I looked at it. As the weekend went on though, I found myself increasingly drawn to it because of its unusual character. And several years on, I still like it - it's a nice break from most of my more "conventionally styled" collection.

Scott

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,566

Brendan

Seed
Reaction score
Lowest branch and root balance

Interesting how the root you did not like in the first image seemed to balance out the thick lower branch.

In the final image I feel that the tree needs more root/support on the side opposite the big lower branch for it to be balanced?

I like the big branch, but I'd even go so far as to tip the tree over so that the branch is actually resting on the ground - like it grew so huge it could not be supported by the trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting how the root you did not like in the first image seemed to balance out the thick lower branch.

In the final image I feel that the tree needs more root/support on the side opposite the big lower branch for it to be balanced?

I like the big branch, but I'd even go so far as to tip the tree over so that the branch is actually resting on the ground - like it grew so huge it could not be supported by the trunk.

Thats an awesome idea!

Part raft part informal upright hybrid.

Never seen it done. A show stopper for sure! Perfect for this material. On a nice slab.....

Love it!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree appeals to me...in that the base is quite impressive. And...during hikes I have seen unusual trees in nature that causes us to pause and comment. So seeing a cascade is a reminder of the trees we've seen that didn't read a book on how they "should" look. But chose to do it's own thing. Thanks for sharing...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

The tree was clearly field grown so the nebari was dominated by several large roots with nothing in between. The work there is not done yet, but I hear what you're saying - I'll try and be sensitive to supplying an adequate visual balance to the branch in the nebari.

That's a really interesting thought. Old live oaks do that here in Houston all the time and it's an image that has always appealed to me. I'll certainly consider it. Thank you for your suggestion.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This tree appeals to me...in that the base is quite impressive. And...during hikes I have seen unusual trees in nature that causes us to pause and comment. So seeing a cascade is a reminder of the trees we've seen that didn't read a book on how they "should" look. But chose to do it's own thing. Thanks for sharing...

It's interesting how we can all appreciate the beauty of a perfectly formed tree, but it's the ones that are unusual in some way that can leave us with a memory. I find that true in bonsai too.

What part of Ohio are you from? I was raised amongst the corn in what used to be farm country north of Westerville. Now suburbs. Sigh.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in the NE part of Ohio...a small town where the kids get the first day of hunting season as a holiday...and we have a "drive your tractor to school day". The entire school street is lined with tractors. We have a big oil boom in our county though...more out of town folk. But, we are not letting them change us. They are adapting to our ways...where ones open the door for people...wave even if you don't know them.

But...we vacation around areas that have hiking trails and waterfalls been to a few states doing that sort of thing as well. One of my favorite places in Ohio...is Hocking Hills. Caves,trails,waterfalls. So green with moss on everything...and...the root over rock is amazing there.

:eek: I actually live in a rural area at a private lake community. We all for the most part are like a huge family. We do lake activities so we continue to have that atmosphere here. Of being family...two summers ago...we had a tornado hit our lake community, we rallied and checked on neighbors...then did clean up. And waited for the power to eventually return. That is when they reported a tornado had hit our community. The weather service was perturbed we hadn't called 911. So they would have been informed. We had the majority cleaned up...so they couldn't assess the damage as well as they would have liked to determine the strength of it. Could only go by what was left that we hadn't gotten to. I say...we have a rare gem of a community I am proud to be apart of.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I live in the NE part of Ohio...a small town where the kids get the first day of hunting season as a holiday...and we have a "drive your tractor to school day". The entire school street is lined with tractors. We have a big oil boom in our county though...more out of town folk. But, we are not letting them change us. They are adapting to our ways...where ones open the door for people...wave even if you don't know them.

But...we vacation around areas that have hiking trails and waterfalls been to a few states doing that sort of thing as well. One of my favorite places in Ohio...is Hocking Hills. Caves,trails,waterfalls. So green with moss on everything...and...the root over rock is amazing there.

:eek: I actually live in a rural area at a private lake community. We all for the most part are like a huge family. We do lake activities so we continue to have that atmosphere here. Of being family...two summers ago...we had a tornado hit our lake community, we rallied and checked on neighbors...then did clean up. And waited for the power to eventually return. That is when they reported a tornado had hit our community. The weather service was perturbed we hadn't called 911. So they would have been informed. We had the majority cleaned up...so they couldn't assess the damage as well as they would have liked to determine the strength of it. Could only go by what was left that we hadn't gotten to. I say...we have a rare gem of a community I am proud to be apart of.

All sounds very familiar. I lived in a rural area and can recall kids driving their tractors to school. I've been to Hocking Hills many times. I still have family there and visit occasionally. While there I like to visit the Franklin Conservatory. They have a small collection of nicely maintained bonsai.

Scott

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was raised amongst the corn in what used to be farm country north of Westerville. Now suburbs. Sigh.

Yes, all sprawl there now. I work in Columbus, but live down in farm country between lancaster and circleville, near amanda.

I love the idea that Brendan threw out there, I've seen a number of old trees just like that, and have always been struck by them. There are some good examples in Big Bend along some draws.

I have an unusual trident, that I also thought of making more "normal" but then it'd be just like every other tree. Embrace the different once in a while!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All sounds very familiar. I lived in a rural area and can recall kids driving their tractors to school. I've been to Hocking Hills many times. I still have family there and visit occasionally. While there I like to visit the Franklin Conservatory. They have a small collection of nicely maintained bonsai.

Scott
:eek: I've been to Hocking Hills 6 times now...and didn't know that! (Sulking a bit since we was there at the end of July...a 3 hour drive for us)

I live 2 1/2 hours from where you grew up. (Did mapquest) I live in Carrollton,Ohio. My brother lives in Dublin...which is much closer to your old stomping grounds.

Making a mental note...about that conservatory! ;) Thanks for the heads up.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
:eek: I've been to Hocking Hills 6 times now...and didn't know that! (Sulking a bit since we was there at the end of July...a 3 hour drive for us)

I live 2 1/2 hours from where you grew up. (Did mapquest) I live in Carrollton,Ohio. My brother lives in Dublin...which is much closer to your old stomping grounds.

Making a mental note...about that conservatory! ;) Thanks for the heads up.

Small world. I have a brother and a sister who live in Dublin.

The Franklin Conservatory is worth a visit. It's a small collection, but I seem to recall reading that they once had been larger, but part of it was destroyed due to fire.

Scott

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here in Atlanta, I've heard the term "conversation branch" used by Rodney Clemons and others to describe such a branch that breaks all the rules and generates a lot of banter between enthusiasts, both for and against the style. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and honestly, trees like this really need to be seen in person to be judged fairly. Still, I do find trees like this interesting or even compelling when they are well trained. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom