Anacacho Orchid Progression

ThirdCoastBorn

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm starting this thread to document the progress of my Anacacho Orchid seedlings over the coming years. The species (Bauhinia lunarioides) is a rare TX native that I'm very excited about, although not sure how it will eventually work as bonsai (only one way to find out!). Perhaps this will be of use to someone else in the future or of interest for anyone who likes (growing) non-traditional trees, but even if not, I'll be motivated to document them as they grow.

Pre-treatment: The few references I found indicated seeds were to be planted untreated OR could acid-scarified -- lacking acid and seeing the relatively hard coat, I tried two sets of four seeds (my standard practice for seeds that I have no information on), planting on Jan 1 and 2.

#1 - 100% germination rate (4/4): Slight filing of coat, 8 hour aeration in room temp. water, another slight filing and planted at 1/8"
#2 - 50% germination rate (2/4): Same as above, except aerated for 20 hours

Media/Placement: 50% Hoffman's seed mix (mostly peat-based) and 50% perlite fines (~1/10"). Humidity dome was used; once or twice a day, cycled between bottom heating pad and being unheated.

Germination: All six sprouted within four days of each other (1/5-1/9) with no sign of the other 2.

Lighting: 80W LED (mostly red and blue wavelengths, a few UV & IR), kept within 5".

Today I decided to transplant them from the initial germination trays (photo 1) into a Rootmaker 32-cell tray with other seedlings I've recently stared. I was mostly pleased with the health of the roots, although should have moved them just a few days sooner to fully benefit from their new trays. They went into a mix of 4:4:1 pine bark, pumice, Hoffman's which for the others usually needs watering around every 24 hours, plus minus a few. They'll now be growing ~5" from a 4 bulb 2ft T5 HO, 17 hours on 7 off, in a grow tent with active ventilation (4" inline fan)

Fertilizing: Not sure what to do here yet, so may split the six into two or three experiment batches. Usually my seedlings get Miracle-Gro Quick Start the next day, another dose 7 days later, and then the following week, start with 'normal' fertilizing (i.e, more nitrogen and micros). As a mountain species used to poor-ish soil though, it seems most sources advise against fertilizing; will keep reading to understand the 'why' better, unless hopefully someone can fill me in.

I'll keep this updated as the seedlings pass milestones (i.e, next up-potting in 2-3 months, end of 1st growing season, etc.); thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions!

Attachments

• Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 1.jpg
    Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 1.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 2.jpg
    Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 3.jpg
    Anacacho Orchid Seedlings 3.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 23

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been looking for these here in PHX. They are selling big box but nothing smaller. I think they will make good bonsai. I will be following your thread.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice.. following..
But why got a larger pot.. ?

Top Bottom