Ancient Bonsai vs Todays Bonsai...

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That the models for this modern styling come from other bonsai and not real trees and because of that the original appreciation has been refined out of existence.

Maybe/perhaps departing from such "refinement:confused:" is direction American Bonsai is headed. One can hope;).

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There were some pretty amazing pines up there, too.

The Jeffrey Pine has amazing bark. Up close, it smells like vanilla!

View attachment 162985

Looking up:

View attachment 162984

Another one:

View attachment 162986

Want to see some smaller ones? How about this clump?

View attachment 162982

Look how small the needles reduce;

View attachment 162983

The roots on that one are splitting that rock!

Believe last tree was Limber Pine, not Ponderosa;).

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Possibly. The Procumbens I’ve seen with scale foliage uselessly have longer “leaves”. That looks more like shimpaku to me. Maybe even Kishu. He foliage is pretty tight.

By the way, you had been pretty adamant that Procumbens could only have juvi foliage. What made you change your mind?
Huh?.......... I haven't changed my mind, I said ''procumbens without scale foliage''

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the discussion here and in other threads about art and style in bonsai recently have gotten me thinking. As in all mediums, art is successful if you get the intended response from the viewer. The rules for different styles exist to create a particular impression on the viewer.

Look at Adair's black pines. I see age, balance, tranquility, stability and strength. Classical styling for conifers does this very well. Now change the intended response. With bunjin trees, a sense of instability and vulnerability is desirable. A different set of techniques is required. For a yamadori style juniper, we will forgot methods used to give a sense of tranquility in favour of drama and torment.

Some trees can also transport the viewer to a particular environment. If that is the intended response, the tree has been successful. If domed foliage creates the desired impression on the viewer, it is "good" Arron that instance. Bottom line.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. (see post 98) Now concentrate Adair o_O The one.....with.... the yellow......tri...angle.( not 94 and not the rigida ).....The one.....in ......post...... Eighty .....eight....:D
Michael, I view BonsaiNut on my iPhone. So, I can expand the pictures, but even so, I cannot make out any needles on that tree. It looks like scale foliage to me.

Procumbens usually don’t make that large of a trunk. If it is Procumbens, it must be very, very old. It actually looks like a Western or Sierra Juniper trunk with shimpaku foliage grafted on.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Michael, I view BonsaiNut on my iPhone. So, I can expand the pictures, but even so, I cannot make out any needles on that tree. It looks like scale foliage to me.

Procumbens usually don’t make that large of a trunk. If it is Procumbens, it must be very, very old. It actually looks like a Western or Sierra Juniper trunk with shimpaku foliage grafted on.
All I can say is that both you and Vance are going to need stronger glasses soon!
I had a procumbens trunk much thicker than that once. Unfortunately it died but that's another story. Only about 12 years old....about 4 inches at the base Come to think of it more like 5 and a half inches .P1100818.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All I can say is that both you and Vance are going to need stronger glasses soon!
I had a procumbens trunk much thicker than that once. Unfortunately it died but that's another story. Only about 12 years old....about 4 inches at the base Come to think of it more like 5 and a half inches .View attachment 163446
Do you have a better picture of it?

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had a procumbens trunk much thicker than that once. Unfortunately it died but that's another story. Only about 12 years old....about 4 inches at the base Come to think of it more like 5 and a half inches .View attachment 163446

Give us the other story too if you could. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juniperius occidentalis apps 60' tall, 20' crown, guessing 45years old.
20180818_194141.jpg
To add more discussion about the 'green helmets' of juniper bonsai......

I come across witch's broom in juniper often, even in the high Sierra's. Witch's broom in almost every species forms a cloud shape. As we also know, many of the varieties in originate as the natural forms. Removing these forms as air layers or grafts and ......voila, a new variety!

To add to the green helmet discussion, the photo above shows numerous cloud shape forms. Perhaps this form was, and still is, easier to maintain as a bonsai. The classical cloud form is a type of art that some folks like (not myself) and should be evaluated based upon the species/variety and how they occur in nature ( I have never been a judge or had a tree worthy of being judged).

The tree in the photo is a natural representation of many of the cloud formed bonsai. So I will relook at the 'green helmet' with a little more open mind.

Lastly, the cloud form witches broom scales are appx half the size of the regular scales!

Top Bottom