Ancient Forest Visual Cues to Old Trees

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got into this exploration, btw, because our cabin is located in a fairly old growth area of the Nantahalla National Forest. I am working to save our huge old hemlocks from HWA and curious to see if I can find out about how old they may be. The one out front is easily three feet wide. I need to measure it.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am also trying to find out about NC law and regulations as concerns private property within National Forest areas. So looking for websites that list that sort of information as well.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I first started work with the Dept of Interior I did dendrochronology and I did my masters thesis on hemlock and still have my old increment borer for extracting cores to date their age. Maybe we can work a deal once you find out what kinds of trees you have up on the ridge. I’m sure you’ve looked into the HWA treament options. In small areas like my yard I dump a few gallons of Bayer systemic insecticide around each one to kill them but that has to be repeated every 2-3 years. In the forest they have been experimenting with a couple kinds of insects that prey on the HWA. Don’t know if they are available to private landowners. As for the legal issue just call the main forest office and explain oyur question. I’m sure they can advise you.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Cofga. I have been reading up extensively on HWA and the Savethehemlocks website has been of great help! I don’t think I would be eager to bore any trees for fear of harming them, so best guesses at ages is good enough for me. I don’t really need to know. Merely curious. I will check out the forest office once we are done moving in the next two weeks.

Top Bottom