...And so the mostly inorganic experiment begins

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Akadama holds more water than either pumice or lava. You might consider using it as part of your mix. It's imported from Jaoan, so it will cost more than the other two.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that lava retains more water than pumice. There's more books and crannies ( at least in the lava I use ) to hold water.

So, if you are using a high percentage of pumice, you might want to lower the pumice percentage and raise the lava, or consider adding akadama.

I have my little shohin zelkova that's potted in a 1/2 inch deep pot in all akadama. And then some orchid moss on top of that.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I believe that lava retains more water than pumice.
I think you may be correct… I have a concrete mixing tub filled with pumice and one filled with lava that I washed… I had sitting out overnight to dry before I put it in to buckets . The lava is still retaining quite a bit of water as opposed to the pumice which is bone dry… The pumice may hold more water but I would assume needs to really soak.
I also have a Montezuma cypress which I planted in 50% orchid bark and 50% lava… I'm surprised it retains as much moisture as it does.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lava retains more water than pumice
Yes it does and it holds onto it for longer. Both pumice and lava (scoria) holds more water (and for longer) than bark. I'm seriously doubting why I use bark nowadays...?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Akadama holds more water than either pumice or lava. You might consider using it as part of your mix. It's imported from Jaoan, so it will cost more than the other two.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that lava retains more water than pumice. There's more books and crannies ( at least in the lava I use ) to hold water.

So, if you are using a high percentage of pumice, you might want to lower the pumice percentage and raise the lava, or consider adding akadama.

I have my little shohin zelkova that's potted in a 1/2 inch deep pot in all akadama. And then some orchid moss on top of that.

Scoria holds more water than pumice of the equivalent size.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay... understood. I used about 4" of 3/8" gravel at the bottom. Hopefully it will serve some purpose.

All else being equal, the larger the grain size difference between the gravel at the bottom and your soil, the higher the water saturation in your soil will be.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
If you're just topping with moss, how high quality does it have to be? I guess you have to pull sticks out of the cheap stuff but is that really a big deal

For those who don't want to spend tons of money on moss(or want to be more friendly to the environment) you can get a dump truck load of wood chips for free from your local power company. They're great at keeping soil from drying out,

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Moss is cheep..... light colored old towel....priceless.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Random off topic question.... figure no need to start new thread. When potting mix says peat..... do they mean peat fines?

Reaction score
With only 2 plants. 2 mixes . 2 types of container. You will not know what factor does influence the result. Cascade pot is not a good choice if you want to keep your roots moist.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
With only 2 plants. 2 mixes . 2 types of container. You will not know what factor does influence the result. Cascade pot is not a good choice if you want to keep your roots moist.
LOL I'm already having issues with keeping anything moist for more then a few hours.
The pots and the trees are all I had to work with but your point is well taken.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
LOL I'm already having issues with keeping anything moist for more then a few hours.
The pots and the trees are all I had to work with but your point is well taken.

Deep pots tend to dry out faster than shallow pots. That's why you can fill a nursery pot with almost anything.

Top Bottom