And the experiments continue

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So we are trying to find our optimum time for --------- literally keeping the tree from getting larger.

That's our way when looking at candling and new shoots.

We have no problems with Health or getting the branches to subdivide, but something Sifu, said about having to graft on new branches stuck in our heads as if possible to avoid, then avoid.

Due to the strength of our sunlight, new buds show up all of the time at points on mature wood.
So instead of needle plucking the old needles, we have decided to shorten back to the old needles and let the buds appear there.

We don't pluck, because of the bleeding, we cut to the sheath, and the needle drops later, naturally.

So on the 19th of December, a test back branch was done as above.
29th of December, buds appeared, but more as a whorl, not a candle.
This whorl, will turn into needles.

The test on this tree, also ended up with us cutting the needles to 1.5 inches, to observe regrowth.

The every ten day, bit from Bonsai Today, works for us, as we have the time to observe.
Next tree will have a different test.
Anyhow here is the tree.

Apologies, when I showed this tree last year, I forgot to mention that behind the second branch is another
branch that is being slowly removed and used for cuttings.
The tree is from seed.
Good Day
Anthony

pine2.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Herman,

good to see you over here, sorry I haven't spoken to you sooner.

It slows, or rests, but you will see growth here and there, from time to time, just so slowly.
But then it grows slowly and evenly all year round, now that it is in that pot, and it is over 20 years old.
2017 is repotting time, will know what the roots are doing.

It is telling us what it wants and what it wants to do.
Thanks for looking.
Good Day
Anthony

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Herman,

good to see you over here, sorry I haven't spoken to you sooner.

It slows, or rests, but you will see growth here and there, from time to time, just so slowly.
But then it grows slowly and evenly all year round, now that it is in that pot, and it is over 20 years old.
2017 is repotting time, will know what the roots are doing.

It is telling us what it wants and what it wants to do.
Thanks for looking.
Good Day
Anthony

No probz boet:) glad to read you again:)

I don't know if you've watched it already, but there's an episode of lindsey farr's(might be spelled wrong) world of bonsai, on youtube, where he goes to a old Japanese gentleman in Hawaii that trains black pine in a tropical clime, you might catch some tips on foliage management

Best regards
Herman

Top Bottom