Angle change...pondering removal of one branch...thoughts please

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...so I bought this bougainvillea last year. Had it shipped out after winter was over.

image.jpg

There is so much movement hidden by this angle it's potted in my opinion. So...today I gave it an angle change.

image.jpg

To me...I think the right side of the Y seen from under the tree... gives it a false sense of a reverse taper when viewed from the front. If I would remove that branch (allowing the scar to face the viewer) it would give more movement to the tree.

image.jpg

With that added movement...also allowing the front to change I believe. (Keeping with the artsy-fartsy movement I'm planning on having fun with the branch movement) but looking from this new "front" it allows the root tangle to appear to be more centered above the pot. The branch in question is the left branch where the Y starts. To remove...or leave is the question.

image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know about the branch....
But....
Id love to see this in a commissioned crescent.

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think whether you want to remove it or not depends on how you're going to style it. Do you have an idea of how you want this cascade to look? At the moment for me, it looks like that left branch has more interesting movement than the right branch. You could just keep developing the left branch and use the right branch as a sacrifice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think whether you want to remove it or not depends on how you're going to style it. Do you have an idea of how you want this cascade to look? At the moment for me, it looks like that left branch has more interesting movement than the right branch. You could just keep developing the left branch and use the right branch as a sacrifice.

At this point...I think just continue with the artsy fartsy style it has going on. I agree...from underneath that left branch has more movement and gives more flow to the overall look of the tree. That the other branch steals and hides from the show. If I have this as a front...you can't see the movement behind it as the other branch bends yet again away from the viewer.

image.jpg

But when looking from face on... the above photo takes on almost a reverse taper look. I guess no rash decisions at this time. Though unsure if the below photo could work as a possible front. You sure do see more movement than the top photo. The roots looking more centered above the pot.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My intentions are...to wire the main branch whimsical to continue the artsy fartsy look of the tree. And do the clip and grow on secondary branches. Which are forming already. To do otherwise...I think in the end I would look uninformed...and appear to be two styles merged as one. Which is not what I want at the end.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doing a google search...this one is a good representation of keeping with the overall appearance of the main tree. How it flows to the very end. Definitely see thinning out my branch selection...for a better overall appearance.

image.jpg

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have run across those Y's many times in life. I have usually taken the road less traveled. Don't know if it was always the right choice. But it was My choice. You have made a great choice with the new angle. So I am sure you will do the same with the movement. Seeking advice is a plus. My advice--- You do not have to make that decision today. You have not really arrived at the Y. Continue to clip and grow and make that decision later.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have run across those Y's many times in life. I have usually taken the road less traveled. Don't know if it was always the right choice. But it was My choice. You have made a great choice with the new angle. So I am sure you will do the same with the movement. Seeking advice is a plus. My advice--- You do not have to make that decision today. You have not really arrived at the Y. Continue to clip and grow and make that decision later.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

Your right...I don't think the decision should be made rash...I do think if it's gone, it will open up more movement that is still being hidden by it. But, I'm wet behind the ears. Once removed...I can't go back.

Thanks for the positive post on the right direction of the angle change. I feel it offers more movement than the previous one offered. That is my goal...to accentuate those curves it offers.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Darlene, part of what you are seeing is the amount of foliage that you have on the branches that is hiding the interest, and confusing your eye. I don't know how these trees respond to trimming, so take that into account with my advice that you trim the leaves off near the trunk. You see how the one you like has only foliage further out. You need to make the focal point of the tree more visible and less confusing. I think you can do that if you allow a look into the branching more. I would also suggest that either you need to turn the tree a bit back toward the right or wire the branch tips that direction, so they are not coming directly toward the viewer.
Like I said though, I don't know these trees...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...I think my tree needs more movement in the branches getting them away from said trunk. So I don't have a compact masculine looking tree. So I did some wiring. Thoughts were to clip and grow secondary branches on those. But create a clip and grow for an apex. Planning on growing out a small branch to use as such.

But want moment down below. So far,I've wired it more taking it more down and to the right.
image.jpg

I've come to see that I need the Y in the tree I spoke of being an issue. To give more dimension...and to add more branches from it. Hiding what looks like a straight branch that doesn't show at this angle it's movement.
image.jpg

I love the look of Bougainvillea Sam (from Hawaii) does his bougainvillea. I know he does clip and grow for apex. If I understood his directions he has guided me in the past. I also know he wires and does like a clip and grow method on secondary branches. At least if I grasp his style and didn't misconstrue what he was telling me at times.
One of Sam's Bougies...
image.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Darlene, I'm curious how your bougie looks if the stool were to continue turning clockwise.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you keep this angle, you should get some good wire and bend that topmost branch to go down in front of where the thick branch is so straight, then swoop back up. Then continue it down again. I would be tempted to cut off the thicker (right) branch of the three on that straight branch as well. 3 branches coming off in the same place is not usually too attractive, and you can wire the center one to get movement into it still. If you cut it all the way off, it'll stop the straight line at that point, and the movement on that branch will go back left, which would be good.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am not sure I can get that bend in the branch you suggested. I do see your reasoning behind doing so. The Bougianvillea branches can be quite brittle once set. My thoughts were to grow a branch from the left first branch on this tree. And take it in that direction. Doing my best cover that area that seems straight. It has movement but not seen well at this angle.

I do like the thought of removing that middle lower branch. Its to confusing down at the bottom. That might be what is needed to get rid of the confusion. Thanks Judy!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting tree! I like the new planting angle and front (I assume the last photo is your new front?). I don't have any particular advice and have never worked with the species, so I'll just look forward to its development.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Of the branch that has the three forks, the thickest one, the one on the right. That's the one that continues the straight line from the part above it. If you leave that one, then you'll not get the direction change that you get if you cut it off. But you'll need to be able to get movement into the middle one of the three or eliminate it as well, it's too straight. (I might take both off if it were mine, and then build the rest from there, as the direction change is more dynamic, and interesting to the one left branch continuation.) Not seeing this in 3d, there may be things I'm not seeing well though, so you should do the towel covering trick and make sure you know what is best in person. Most of the time, when you have 3 tines off a branch like a fork, you eliminate one of the outside ones. Narrower v's look more natural than taking out the middle one and having a wider v. Hope that makes sense. Just added a very crude virt to show you what I mean. The large branch now has a big twist to the left without the other branches. This is hard to see with the table being basically the same color as the trunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do see where removing the fork branch it's creating more movement in the tree itself. Pondering if I need to let it recover first from repotting and manhandling it. Or safe to remove now.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting tree! I like the new planting angle and front (I assume the last photo is your new front?). I don't have any particular advice and have never worked with the species, so I'll just look forward to its development.
Thanks...when I first seen it,I felt an angle change could really show case the movement. Yes you are correct as to my preferred front. I seemed to have manhandled it though I feel. Time to let it recoup...

Top Bottom