Angle change...pondering removal of one branch...thoughts please

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the view of the bougie in the first picture as you began to rotate it. I imagine a shorter tree length-wise extending to slightly below the stool seat. Still referring to the same picture, the trunk from the point of where branches first emerge looks really straight, but that first branch in the right now looks more interesting.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the view of the bougie in the first picture as you began to rotate it. I imagine a shorter tree length-wise extending to slightly below the stool seat. Still referring to the same picture, the trunk from the point of where branches first emerge looks really straight, but that first branch in the right now looks more interesting.

You read my mind...I pondered the same thing actually.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was suggested I keep with the twists that this tree has up above and carry out some movement in the branches. This is a virt. I quickly through together. It would entail my developing the top growing and training branches...and removing the lower section of tree. Making it more compact.

image.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not go that far with it. I still like the idea of the longer branches, I was agreeing to the angle change however. I think if you shorten it that significantly, then your foliage will start to hide the twisty branches too much with a more compact form. I like the longer cascade idea better. Just my take.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Food for thought Judy...I have no intentions as of yet to do anything so drastic. Just letting those new back buds to develop into something more...and see where it takes me. But, keeping a few ideas on the back burner. One of which is the removal of those forks at the base. Until I develop it more...I'm not sure what direction it will have me take it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Two days shy of two weeks...and I am pleased to say...I noticed I moved a bit of substrate with the watering apparently. And what did I behold...but nice white new healthy roots growing. Which was nice to see...since this tree was in a sand mixture when it arrived and for some reason...very poor draining. I found root rot in the fine foots during the angle and repot. But, it's a bougainvillea so I removed most and left the thick tangle that is hidden under the substrate that is straight for a bit then curls. Figuring that was the lifeline to this tree. Which left me with hugging the side to get the angle to tilt. Because the smaller root that is also there connects to the tree and 1/4" thick or just a tad shy over...wouldn't reach into the soil if a I allowed for a bit of a different angle that I wanted. I wanted it a few degrees not so tilted. But, it was what it was...maybe at a later potting I can make it not so drastic of tilt. Or...it will grow on me.

But, it was a pleasant surprise to see it thriving and doing so well in the wee brand substrate. I wasn't sure if losing the fine roots would be an issue...and as of now, I'm not seeing anything that leads me to believe it did. Someone here may have known that...but, it's all still relatively new to me.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
To me ... I think the right side of the Y seen from under the tree... gives it a false sense of a reverse taper when viewed from the front .......
I have an unorthodox idea but I need to know EXACTLY where this reverse taper is located before I know if it's a possible solution.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nebari, post: 285753, member: 12865"]I have an unorthodox idea but I need to know EXACTLY where this reverse taper is located before I know if it's a possible solution.
Its a false sense. If looked at wrong where it Y's off. No real reverse taper. Its looking quite healthy...for the smaller roots that were rotted at repot time.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Its a false sense. If looked at wrong where it Y's off. No real reverse taper. Its looking quite healthy...for the smaller roots that were rotted at repot time.
Oh, yes I understand. Thanks.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
View attachment 82176 You can see...that it has recovered from the repot even with what I discovered under the sand like soil it came to me in...it is loving the new substrate of quick draining stuff. For it is thriving and looking quite healthy.
View attachment 82177
In case I didn't say it earlier .... I like it. The twists and turns are what "winners" are made of. This one you can do a lot with, and it'll just get better and better!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In case I didn't say it earlier .... I like it. The twists and turns are what "winners" are made of. This one you can do a lot with, and it'll just get better and better!

Thanks...It's not for everyone. I can appreciate that. Isn't that whats so great about bonsai...That there are several styles. One may not be for everyone...but typically one is for someone.

I must say, the only thing that had me not overly stressing about the condition of the roots were. The main thick root was not rotten. And, these guys can be rooted from cuttings. So I felt surely since I opted its substrate to a better medium, that it would pull through.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks...It's not for everyone. I can appreciate that. Isn't that whats so great about bonsai...That there are several styles. One may not be for everyone...but typically one is for someone.

I must say, the only thing that had me not overly stressing about the condition of the roots were. The main thick root was not rotten. And, these guys can be rooted from cuttings. So I felt surely since I opted its substrate to a better medium, that it would pull through.
The thing is that some potensai are ”formal upright” and that's that. Others are natural ”informal upright” and there's not much choice. But this one of yours can be made into a cascade, semi-cascade, root over rock, root in rock, informal upright, literati …... and it will go into a round pot, oval pot, a square one, rectangle, crescent or tall cascade pot. It's like spinning the globe, closing your eyes and stopping it with your index finger ….. THAT'S WHAT I'M A-GONNA DO WITH IT! And it'll be ...........
wow__by_drawn_mario-d8ku5wt.gif

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an unorthodox idea but I need to know EXACTLY where this reverse taper is located before I know if it's a possible solution.

I'm STILL waiting to hear the idea.
Even if not applicable.
Throw out the mind opener!

Sorce

Top Bottom