Angry ficus needs a makeover!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While the ficus is bitter at being moved and flinging leaves all over the room, I thought it a good opportunity to get a good look at branching. Frankly, as a newb, I’m terrified I’m going to fail to choose wisely when hacking back this spring. There’s just so many branches that at this point, all I see is dumpster fire!

If anyone wants to get out their electronic markers and make suggestions for which branches should be removed, I’d be grateful. If I need better pictures or a different angle, Jist let me know.

Thanks to anyone in advance choosing to participate!

Front

7E77449B-1316-4588-AF1E-A1E8A4324539.jpeg

Right facing

542507A7-6268-4BBF-BDEF-8AD168232151.jpeg

Back

E790F0A5-5C37-4B7A-B681-B2761D71871E.jpeg

Left facing

961B1032-DBFE-41A8-AE47-5D299A56E44B.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Make sure you aren't over-watering. Moss on the surface of ficus soil tends to indicate too much water, too little light, or both. Ficus like water but they need free-draining soil. Make sure that their roots become almost dry between waterings.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Before you start thinking about removing branches, ask yourself about the final design of the tree. That will set your pruning plan. Some branches you may want to totally remove, some shorten and some leave untouched - depending on where you are taking the tree.

So in your imagination, and starting at the base of the trunk and where the roots meet the soil, try to imagine this tree without any branches at all (just the trunk). What side is the best and shows the most character? Based on that side, what "line" is the trunk going to follow in your design? Where do you think the apex will eventually be located, and how high will it be?

Hint - it is generally a good idea to have your tree feel like it is "leaning" toward the viewer, even if the design goes left or right. You never want the tree leaning away from the viewer.

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Make sure you aren't over-watering. Moss on the surface of ficus soil tends to indicate too much water, too little light, or both. Ficus like water but they need free-draining soil. Make sure that their roots become almost dry between waterings.

This is a relatively recent purchase, hence the leaf Drop. It’s sitting under a 4x4 bank of T5Ho so plenty of light. The moss is going away as it was far worse when I received it. I should probably remove what’s there.

Soil is slow draining at best (mallsai). I was trying to wait until spring before repotting but may have to pull the trigger sooner.

Thanks!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before you start thinking about removing branches, ask yourself about the final design of the tree. That will set your pruning plan. Some branches you may want to totally remove, some shorten and some leave untouched - depending on where you are taking the tree.

So in your imagination, and starting at the base of the trunk and where the roots meet the soil, try to imagine this tree without any branches at all (just the trunk). What side is the best and shows the most character? Based on that side, what "line" is the trunk going to follow in your design? Where do you think the apex will eventually be located, and how high will it be?

Hint - it is generally a good idea to have your tree feel like it is "leaning" toward the viewer, even if the design goes left or right. You never want the tree leaning away from the viewer.

Thank you for the insight. After the primary and secondary branch, I get lost in the forest.

I’ll sit down with it this afternoon and try your process.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Frankly, as a newb, I’m terrified I’m going to fail to choose wisely when hacking back this spring. There’s just so many branches that at this point, all I see is dumpster fire!

Best time to do heavy work is July for us as we discussed - bring them all for a makeover that they will survive.

Grimmy

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Best time to do heavy work is July for us as we discussed - bring them all for a makeover that they will survive.

Grimmy

It’s going to have to be repotted before that. The dirt is like concrete.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
20171108_185535.jpg Cut off the red marks, then trim the rest for backbudding. Root everything you take off for more trees. If it was mine I'd risk a repot now to get it into good soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 166466 Cut off the red marks, then trim the rest for backbudding. Root everything you take off for more trees. If it was mine I'd risk a repot now to get it into good soil.

I sure am with that!

A rainbow arch prune a bit above the first green....

Finito!

Just odd cross country notes on indoor Midwest (current:p) ficus......

Well first.....I remember back when I was over watering my Benjamin, it would get little waxy deposits at the base of the petiole under the leaf......
Dunno if Ginseng ficus does that....but.....
Haven't noted it on my Ben's in 5 years!

I cut my Ginseng in its basket out of the ground end of October, bout week.5 ago....
It has only dropped one old interior leaf.
I left a bunch of roots swirling around the the drip tray, and I keep em in a half inch ish of water.

The roots pushed most the DE out of the actual basket and it is mostly just rocks sifted from concrete and roots, wetted every day.

A couple of Ben's came in, also pulled up from earth....
With a lot of splashed soil amidst the DE, one with great moss growing across the DE.

All are well and of 4 or 5 only lost about 2 leaves.

Anywho....

Zoomer....

If that soil is truly that bad....
I reckon with the setup you created, you could get away with repotting it now.
Doing the cut back at the same time.

I reckon I'm going to throw my little Benji into an actual bonsai pot here soon.

I feel yours has a better chance of surviving....
And I'm not worried about Repotting mine in the slightest.

Sorce

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@sorce, thank you!

Interestingly, and I know it goes against conventional wisdom, those starters that I did an emergency repot on are growing like crazy. I didn’t do any root trimming. Loosened up root ball a bit and gently shook out old soil.

I have 4 starters that are barely hanging on. I have nothing to lose with a re-pot.

I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that at least in my case and with my set up, an immediate transplant is going to become the standard, if soil looks bad.

Both the big ficus have concrete for dirt. It reminds me of a compacted dirt parking lot.

Here are pics of 2 Green Islands that I repotted 2-3 weeks ago. They are under regular T5. None of this growth was on either of these before the repot.

78234D71-4880-4565-ADFC-97B547687658.jpeg 1E1FF9A4-6BCD-4074-B292-1F7E0951771D.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interestingly, and I know it goes against conventional wisdom, those starters that I did an emergency repot on are growing like crazy. I didn’t do any root trimming. Looked up root ball a bit and gently shook out old soil.

Schultz liquid concentrate drops are THE simplest way to fert inside....micros....clean...done. I gotta go to Ace and grab some.

You set up that rig well.
Your results are evidence!

Every tree should get that "repot?" Question....you are answering it well.

Sometimes they just need to be freed into a healthier environment!

We can feel them rejoicing!

Sorce

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Alright! Here’s the plan! I’ll cut at the 2 lines right now, and then post new pictures ! Basically, you guys are doing remote surgery.

Baptism by fire for me!

Back shortly!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce, since they are starters and youngsters, there is really no downside to taking them to a bigger co Rainer either. It’s not like I have stuff in serious training!

Say a prayer for the ficus! While I do understand that this is not normal to be doing this, i feel risk is low. And I’ll dang sure learn something!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Left initial cut long long to avoid marring trunk.

The big piece scares me. Stopping to Read Iron’s suggested link!

EC783A35-AE88-4892-9BE9-940D4480B2BF.jpeg

Top Bottom