Annual Bonsai

Reaction score
I want to start this thread about annual bonsai. I have a few juniper and pine, but im starting herbal plants that i can grow into artwork then when the plant dies i can use its growth to either make tea, or what ever the plants use is for. Has anyone done this? and if you have information or just wanna post picks this is what i made this thread for.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a great idea. I grow Pineapple Sage and a variety of Basil plants each year that get 3-6 feet tall, and they have interesting, woody trunks, and respond well to pruning. I've seriously thought about doing this.

In the 2017-18 winter, I cut a big (ground grown) Pineapple Sage down to ground level after a hard freeze seriously scorched it, and buried it in mulch, and when it came back in the spring, it really took off. This particular Pineapple Sage grows into a big 5' ball, and in the last few weeks has started putting out red flowers. I'm going to try the same thing with some of the big basil plants I currently have in pots. Pineapple Sage seems to really like our climate, while other sage varieties I've grown have been much more tentative.

Currently growing Sweet Basil, Cinnamon Basil, and Thai Basil in 15 gallon pots, and each of those seem to really like the climate here. The basils have been blooming for about two months. I cut all the blooms off half the plants (to keep them from going to seed), and when they start to bloom again, I cut the blooms off the other half of the plants, to continue have flowers for the bees, and to keep them from dying after going to seed. I don't know if the basils will come back, or not. Had numerous volunteer basils jump up in pots and in the garden from plants that went to seed in pots in the 2017 season. I'd love to grow rosemary, but I manage to kill them, every time.

Reaction score
Pineapple sage and rosemary are beautiful plants i think my local greenhouse sells both. I was also thinking about camellia sinensis, just like those two plants they are beautiful and serve a annual use. I will most likely use the plants i buy as a mother plant so i can start the growth this next spring. Ive seen a picture of a bonsai growing a perfect apple. can you eat the apple? i was wondering this because i was wanting to grow some wild passion fruit on a larger style tree but i want to know if i could eat the fruit.

Reaction score
This is a great idea. I grow Pineapple Sage and a variety of Basil plants each year that get 3-6 feet tall, and they have interesting, woody trunks, and respond well to pruning. I've seriously thought about doing this.

In the 2017-18 winter, I cut a big (ground grown) Pineapple Sage down to ground level after a hard freeze seriously scorched it, and buried it in mulch, and when it came back in the spring, it really took off. This particular Pineapple Sage grows into a big 5' ball, and in the last few weeks has started putting out red flowers. I'm going to try the same thing with some of the big basil plants I currently have in pots. Pineapple Sage seems to really like our climate, while other sage varieties I've grown have been much more tentative.

Currently growing Sweet Basil, Cinnamon Basil, and Thai Basil in 15 gallon pots, and each of those seem to really like the climate here. The basils have been blooming for about two months. I cut all the blooms off half the plants (to keep them from going to seed), and when they start to bloom again, I cut the blooms off the other half of the plants, to continue have flowers for the bees, and to keep them from dying after going to seed. I don't know if the basils will come back, or not. Had numerous volunteer basils jump up in pots and in the garden from plants that went to seed in pots in the 2017 season. I'd love to grow rosemary, but I manage to kill them, every time.

What is your climate like?

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zone 8b... almost-subtropical North Florida. We generally get <20 drops below freezing, only occasionally into the teens. High humidity, fairly regular rain.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conehead thyme. I like the bark on these. They are fun to mess with and the bark is really nice.
20181020_090645.jpg

Top Bottom