Another “Help Me ID This Tree”

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
So, some neighbors said they thought they are Redbuds...One said, cotton wood. I looked under heart shaped leaves by, name e of the info matched what is on the tree. We have 1 big one on our lot, a sapling and a medium sized one.

They have what looks like a small green berry/fruit. On the older tree the trunk bark is rough and the limbs are semi smooth..any help would be greatly appreciated 22ED6052-7AA5-412A-8D20-7A239BCE8211.jpeg9B74AD51-3681-46DF-AE06-D5EB5F7577C6.jpeg
82785534-3114-49B7-92F0-6E023122F856.jpeg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
IDK but fruit looks like a fig. Is it possible this could be Ficus religiosa?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Chinese tallow tree, Sapium sebiferum, a.k.a Triadica sebifera Careful with this one, it is a notorious exotic invasive.
2. Desert willow, Chilopsis linearis
The most hummingbirds I’ve ever seen in one place was around a Chilopsis linearis, was kinda awestruck.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you find this growing locally? I'm having trouble recognizing leaf structure from the photos. If those are bipinnately compound leaves, my guess is Chinaberry, Meli azedarach. I do not think it is a hawthorn Crataegus because they do not have compound leaves.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Did you find this growing locally? I'm having trouble recognizing leaf structure from the photos. If those are bipinnately compound leaves, my guess is Chinaberry, Meli azedarach. I do not think it is a hawthorn Crataegus because they do not have compound leaves.

Yes, it is in my neighborhood.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Definitely Chinaberry. Invasive weed around here. They seem very prone to disease and die back.

Ok thanks so much! I looked them up and they are considered invasive here too. My wife thought it looked nice and brought me a piece from a limb that had fallen off of the tree. Thinking it would make a decent bonsai. I think I’ll have to pass.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is where common names get us into trouble. This a juniper or Juniperus. But most people in Texas call these "cedars". There are two species native to our area: Eastern red cedar Juniperus virginiana and Ashe juniper or mountain cedar J. ashei.

Top Bottom