Another “Help Me ID This Tree”

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is where common names get us into trouble. This a juniper or Juniperus. But most people in Texas call these "cedars". There are two species native to our area: Eastern red cedar Juniperus virginiana and Ashe juniper or mountain cedar J. ashei.

So, it more than likely is the latter of the two...Eastern Red Cedar.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, that is the more common species but I can't tell from your photo. Habitat is helpful here. If the tree is growing on a very dry, exposed site with white gravelly soil, it may be an Ashe juniper.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are actually three Texas native junipers, the ERC, Ashe Juniper and Redberry, or Pinchot's Juniper (Juniperus Pinchotii). The Redberrry is native to north central Texas into a bit of Oklahoma It likes similar sites to Ashe. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up in spotty areas around Dallas...This looks to be ERC to me though.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The nearest reported populations of J. pinchotti are in Montague and Johnson counties, about 75 miles from Shady Shores. So this is unlikely to be that species.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The nearest reported populations of J. pinchotti are in Montague and Johnson counties, about 75 miles from Shady Shores. So this is unlikely to be that species.

Oh, I agree, but its not out of the realm of possibility. Most likely ERC you have there.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok, I was told this is a lace bark elm (Chinese elm), but I don’t think so...what are y’all thoughts?

9260F9A1-179E-49AA-BB13-D289F0240FD3.jpeg39F14309-01E1-4CF6-9928-C5DED5BE3E33.jpegD04AA1C4-9FAF-4D6B-84A0-9E3D19913787.jpeg831F8D1A-6D5B-41BF-BE11-683BB77B9DCD.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Juniper foliage is picky and smells like Juniper, Chameacyparis is soft and doesn't smell like Juniper.

Top Bottom