Another $38 nursery Shimpaku

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job. Reasonable image from the jump and should mature into the design nicely. :cool:

Can always work the deadwood down to a more in-scale "weight".

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job. Reasonable image from the jump and should mature into the design nicely. :cool:

Can always work the deadwood down to a more in-scale "weight".
Thanks Lance. I bent up some younger straighter shoots also. I figure if I end up jinning more over time it’ll look better if it’s got movement.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did the deed last week and am happy with how much I was able to compact those long straight branches. I put this tree in morning sun and dappled sun the rest of the day for the last week and have misted. Tips continue to grow.

Hard to see but the big curved section right in the middle on the main trunk follows the contours well of the cascading branches. It also goes front to back as well as side to side.I think once I get more foliage extension I’ll be able to build pads in front of what I don’t want you to see and what I do want you to see. I kept literally every bit of foliage in this process for recovery.

now I just water feed and wait.
View attachment 375784
View attachment 375785
Good job on the styling!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job on the styling!
Thanks Pitoon! I made sure to only mess with the big branches. Didn’t want to start jacking with anything else until it recovers. Was surprised how much movement I got out of everything.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nebari looks great! Not sold on the upright jin in the nebari region yet though.
Great job cranking on it. You'll get better return on your wire if you stretch out
the angle with less number of coils. Not just economically, but strength wise.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nebari looks great! Not sold on the upright jin in the nebari region yet though.
Great job cranking on it. You'll get better return on your wire if you stretch out
the angle with less number of coils. Not just economically, but strength wise.
Thanks the nebari looked great from the get go! It’s so hard wrapping such thick gauge copper when there is so much foliage! 😆 regardless of foliage, wrapping thick gauche wire is hard. my main goal was to not have huge gaps between the wire and branch. The Jin will either need to go fully or carved with some movement. That was just a branch that needed to go.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks really great! When you make big bends like this, do you feel or hear any cracking/splitting/breaking? I am preparing to do some similar work on a couple junipers but I don't know how to gauge the limits of how far a bend can go before its just me slowly murdering a tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really great! When you make big bends like this, do you feel or hear any cracking/splitting/breaking? I am preparing to do some similar work on a couple junipers but I don't know how to gauge the limits of how far a bend can go before its just me slowly murdering a tree.
Thanks! I’ve def done big bends and have heard a crack but heard nothing on this one. I think the key is a good raffia wrap, along with proper wire wrap. As @Japonicus pointed out above, my coils were a bit closer in angle than I should go, but I was more pleased I was able to get the wire wrapped tight to the branch. I d rather have tighter coils than coils too spread out. Another key is making sure the wire AND raffia is wrapped in a way so that when you bend the branch, you ALSO twist the branch in the direction that tightens the raffia and wire to the branch. This ensures continued support as you bend further and further. The more you bend and twist, the more the wrap tightens and supports. You also want to try and make sure that you have a length of wire on the outside of big bends so as to support the portion of branch in tension so it doesn’t blow out.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m pretty pleased with the growth on both shimpaku I bent up significantly. Not what I would call vigorous growth. But healthy for sure with almost zero loss in branching on the branches I bent real big. This pic was from about 2 weeks ago and when I get back in to town I’m hoping for some good looking broccoli.
2FEE4E63-796B-40D1-8651-33EDCED920BA.jpeg

Top Bottom