Another approaching winter question

Redcoat

Seedling
Reaction score
So as the season is changing and fall is here, living in nj, all my outdoor trees to this point are from the area. Chinese elm and maples, boxwood and larch. One chinese elm is from a collector in Michigan. Well now I've got a chinese elm on its way up from north Florida where the average low is only between 25-30°f. Where I am in zone 6a is far colder. I have my area set up in my detached garage for the trees and plan to 1.) Let all the trees remain where they are till middle of November at least to know they get the dormancy going from extended exposure to the cold. And 2.) I plan to move them in to the garage soon after and insulate the pots in mulch to protect the roots.
My question is, since this tree is used to warmer lows, should I let it be and experience the same as the rest or move it in to the garage a little sooner than the other trees and insulate the pot in mulch? I just want the tree to survive its first colder winter so I know it will make it thru each successive winter after

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If I may piggyback onto your question, I too am moving, in December no less, 3 zones colder than where I am (8a to 5b). I have plants that are hardy to zone 5 (Eleagnus, Japanese maple, Chinese Elm, Virginia Creeper) but have been used to a Zone 8 winter for the last few years. Will they be fine in the ground mulched and protected or in an unheated garage wrapped in bubblewrap or styrofoam (with air and water accessible)?

I also have some plants that are hardy to only zone 7 (Chinese privet, Osmanthus, Ume). Will these be fine in the cold garage too, or should I bring them indoors where it will be 70 degrees (No option for a cool basement or non-freezing garage).

Hope it's okay to include these questions in this thread.

Redcoat

Seedling
Reaction score
If I may piggyback onto your question, I too am moving, in December no less, 3 zones colder than where I am (8a to 5b). I have plants that are hardy to zone 5 (Eleagnus, Japanese maple, Chinese Elm, Virginia Creeper) but have been used to a Zone 8 winter for the last few years. Will they be fine in the ground mulched and protected or in an unheated garage wrapped in bubblewrap or styrofoam (with air and water accessible)?

I also have some plants that are hardy to only zone 7 (Chinese privet, Osmanthus, Ume). Will these be fine in the cold garage too, or should I bring them indoors where it will be 70 degrees (No option for a cool basement or non-freezing garage).

Hope it's okay to include these questions in this thread.
Hey the more questions and insight, the better, it never hurts to learn more and talk and discuss tips, ideas, methods, experiences and tid bits that may help even just 1 person. Its what were all here for

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I too am curious/ worried about this winter. Last year I lost an Olive that was supposed to be hardy to -10 F. It never got below +10 degrees but it still died. I am hoping that this winter won’t claim any of my trees. I will be following this thread.

Top Bottom