Another Bald Cypress Repot

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have to do a similar root chop this spring on 5 that I put in a large plastic training pot last year after chopping them down from large nursery pots. I spaced them out fairly regularly to make it easier to separate them this year. They grew fairly well last year so I figure they should e strong enough to take a big root chop this year—photos at 11( no promises on the month or day).

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The leader is two years old, I can get that much in a year, it did not grow much last year as was severely pot bound until I threw it in the blue tote, mid summmer.

It’s amazing how quickly they push roots...
Looking forward to seeing the progression of a couple of my trees that I started last year. You got a lot of growth in a short amount of time.... did you chip the leader last year?
Thanks

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey MM!
How many years since the last root work?
That blue tub looks packed!

Everything below the main mass around the trunk grew in 1/2 a summer. The mass around the trunk, about 3 seasons. I had neglected it for a couple of seasons and it had filled the oil drain pan to the point that it had almost pushed itself out, so I threw it into the blue tub with some old bonsai soil.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It’s amazing how quickly they push roots...
Looking forward to seeing the progression of a couple of my trees that I started last year. You got a lot of growth in a short amount of time.... did you chip the leader last year?
Thanks

I did not clip it, waiting for it to get thicker.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

The new section really thickened up over the past couple of months so I decided to chop it. I find that mid summer is when BC really put on girth, especially when you keep them submerged.

Here it is before the chop, it is almost 10 feet tall:

DSC03659-1.jpg

DSC03660-1.jpg

First cut

DSC03666-1.jpg

Second Cut

DSC03671-1.jpg

The carnage

DSC03675-1.jpg

Finished product

DSC03674-1.jpg

DSC03678-1.jpg

DSC03680-1.jpg

DSC03682-1.jpg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I h

I have not tried, they grow so fast, I never saw the need.

There are some who claim success, though.
Okay. I just thought the leader you cut off was decent size and it might be worth layering.

Top Bottom