Another Ben Oki Azalea

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
A shameless rip-off of a BVF thread...

I was going through some old photos the other day on my computer and also my cell phone (I got a new one) and I came across these pictures that were taken at a Ben Oki workshop that my bonsai club sponsored. I had taken a Satsuki "Gumpo" that I had gotten at the flea market. Here are the pictures:

Ben at work:

FB_IMG_1516460574113.jpg

The carnage and a Ben's concept for the tree:
FB_IMG_1516460556897-2.jpg

If you have ever been to one of Ben's workshop, you know that most prebonsai material gets cut back to nothing, leaving the uninitiated with a WTF kinda feeling, much like the one that I had that night.

Fast Forward to now, I don't exactly remember when I attended the workshop but it was at least four years ago, and here is the tree:

DSC06701-1.jpg

DSC06702-1.jpg

DSC06703-1.jpg

DSC06706-1.jpg

DSC06707-1.jpg

As you can see, some of Ben's vision is coming to pass. Sometimes it is hard to see the bonsai in the plant, but with planning and an expert eye, I think there could be a bonsai in most stock. Sadly, Ben does not make the rounds anymore, he was a yearly feature for our club and I will miss him.

FB_IMG_1516460556897-1.jpg

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you! Also nice to share that it was not beneath Ben Oki to work on and envision a good plant from Nursery stock, in this case a Flea Market purchase... He was traditional but non-traditional at the same time, a real visionary :)

Grimmy

Top Bottom