Another BIG Water Elm

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is one of two very large Water elms I have in my collection... Really like the movement int this one... Only nature can make balance like this. Tried to snap pics from a few angles so you could really see it...
DSC02192.JPG
DSC02193.JPG
Looking down the trunk line might show it a little better: DSC02195.JPG DSC02196.JPG DSC02197.JPG
Brick for scale: DSC02199.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A brick for scale!
Way better than a lighter or beer can.
I need one that needs a brick for scale.
Cool tree Eric!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it a lot! I have one that I picked up from Zach this summer. They are cool trees - they definitely like the heat of the summer. Mine has been popping stuff all over the trunk giving me lots of options for branches. The leaves are nice and small and I like how the newest leaves are red. The only thing I'm concerned about with mine is wintering it in Va. Good luck with it.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Love it! Is that all the growth it put out this summer? If I were you, next spring I'd cut of half of the upper section of the trunk, just above the fifth branch from the top. Can't wait to see how it develops.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
huge tree!!

what are the plans?
The planes are to let it grow for a year or two and see what it gives me to work with! Only been dug and chopped for maybe two months now, so it is very very early in it's development.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love it! Is that all the growth it put out this summer? If I were you, next spring I'd cut of half of the upper section of the trunk, just above the fifth branch from the top. Can't wait to see how it develops.
Yes, that is all from the past couple months. It was a bare stump when I potted it up.
I will probably wait a bit longer before I chop it again. I want to make sure he is healthy and all the roots are growing and well secured before I out that much torque on it.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are some smaller ones I was charmed by. Sadly the winter of 2014 killed a couple of his most cherished. http://bonsai-south.com/gallery
It is a shame he lost some of those... I am surprised. I had one sitting out through the winter of 2014 here and it was fine- much bigger tree than most of his... And we are in different places.. Maybe it go colder there than here! I guess mine is in a somewhat sheltered spot under another larger tree too... They seem to grow in the swamps around here as understory trees most of their lives, and I have found they grow really well in at least partial shade.. Maybe that helps keep them from drying out a bit to, which- as the name implies- water is their friend!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A brick for scale!
Way better than a lighter or beer can.
I need one that needs a brick for scale.
Cool tree Eric!
Keep in mind.. That is a big ole cement mixing tub too, so the brick is kind of forward in the image and actually looks a little larger than it is in relation to to he tree... I realized I had done that after I took the pick... Prolly shoulda put it back beside the tree for a better comparison!

I think I measured it across the base once and it was around 8-9 inches.. And No, that's NOT what she said! (Bunch a sickos around here, I knew that was coming!).

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The planes are to let it grow for a year or two and see what it gives me to work with! Only been dug and chopped for maybe two months now, so it is very very early in it's development.
Didn't realize it had just been collected.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well time for a quick update on this guy... it now has branches @Smoke
IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0690.JPG
Hard to get a decent background for a tree this size! I want to report it this summer, potting it down to a smaller container... this thing is a BEAST!!! Shaping up nicely though, grows like a weed! Removed some of the roots that were too high up in the trunk this year to reduce the soil mounding and it didn't bat an eye.. I am interesting seeing what the roots look like under the surface now.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh and sorry for the messy yard... Real ugly time of year... not that I keep it an immaculate Japanese garden year round or anything, but it is especially ugly back there right now! Notice the large BC on the left edge of the screen! Might have a bigger trunk than this Water Elm... it is going to be awesome!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is one of two very large Water elms I have in my collection... Really like the movement int this one... Only nature can make balance like this. Tried to snap pics from a few angles so you could really see it...
View attachment 81197
View attachment 81198
Looking down the trunk line might show it a little better: View attachment 81199 View attachment 81200 View attachment 81201
Brick for scale: View attachment 81202

Top Bottom