Another Boxwood

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is another boxwood that I dug from my front yard in 2011. It's getting there and will probably be repotted next spring.

Comments, criticisms, and advice are welcome.

Thanks,
Cory

Attachments

• boxwood3.jpg
    boxwood3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 205
  • boxwood2.JPG
    boxwood2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 202
  • boxwood1.jpg
    boxwood1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 191
  • boxwood #2 May 2012.jpg
    boxwood #2 May 2012.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 192
  • box.JPG
    box.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 238

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great material! With a little more development into the branching you'll have a really great tree. I love the base and deadwood.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great material! With a little more development into the branching you'll have a really great tree. I love the base and deadwood.

Thanks. Yeah, the branching definitely needs more development, but that's how it goes, huh? More than anything, the primary branches need to thicken, IMO, to be in proportion to the thick trunk.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's an update on this guy. I don't really know where I'm going with this tree. I had someone call it "Octopus Style" at a workshop once. Maybe... Anyway, all the branches arise from high up on the tree. In order to balance the tree I've had to have drop branches to mimic low ones. My boys (7 and 10) asked if they could have this tree if they did some "work" on it. After they hacked on it for a while I did some pruning and cleaning on the tree. Since I hadn't done much of anything on this tree for 4 years or so, I decided to cut many branches back pretty hard to improve the taper in them and produce some twiggy secondary and tertiary branches. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• boxwood.jpg
    boxwood.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 189

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think that this tree could be quite nice if the canopy is allowed to extend to about twice it’s current size. Not necessarily up but out and kind of mimicking the sprawling Oaks here in California.

Attachments

• 28FC979D-44C1-4C0B-9CE1-30292648E818.jpeg
    28FC979D-44C1-4C0B-9CE1-30292648E818.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 163

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's an update on this guy. I don't really know where I'm going with this tree. I had someone call it "Octopus Style" at a workshop once. Maybe... Anyway, all the branches arise from high up on the tree. In order to balance the tree I've had to have drop branches to mimic low ones. My boys (7 and 10) asked if they could have this tree if they did some "work" on it. After they hacked on it for a while I did some pruning and cleaning on the tree. Since I hadn't done much of anything on this tree for 4 years or so, I decided to cut many branches back pretty hard to improve the taper in them and produce some twiggy secondary and tertiary branches. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I think it would look fine, as an artful, contrarian design, when the leaves fill out the top and you pick and choose where to make space for the birdies to fly through. It will grow leaves and you can follow the rules of bonsai: nothing straight up or straight down; favor those that are horizontal. Imagine a canopy and clip anything that protrudes beyond that shape. Adjust the imagine to suit. It has a very nice trunk, and you're suppose to accentuate the positive and minimize the negative. Relax. Eventually, an inspiration may occur, so don't do anything rash to preclude a happy ending..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's the way the light penetrates the center and hits that right center branch, it illuminates the center gap, which bring my attention to that straight line between the DW and LV just left of center.
Maybe it is the line just right of that, the hook top left in that negative space.

Some combination of things bringing and keeping me there. Sure it's not the same in person. But that's the only thing keeping me seeing the old shrub.

The canopy is looking better, less 8 legged!

Sorce

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I've had mixed success collecting boxwood. How hard did you cut back. Did you leave foliage on each branch or did it back bud well? Your tree looks good!
Thanks.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've had mixed success collecting boxwood. How hard did you cut back. Did you leave foliage on each branch or did it back bud well? Your tree looks good!
Thanks.
I cut back hard on all my collected Boxwood. Some I cut back hard when they were still in the ground and collected them the next year. Others I cut back immediately before collection. I had zero problems getting them to backbud on old wood and I haven't lost any of them. I did leave some small amounts of green on all of them as some people claim that they need leaves to draw sap. I've heard others say that it's not necessary. I tend to agree.

What kind of soil are you potting them up in after collection? Boxwoods need well draining soil in order to survive and IMO (as with most bonsai) do best in an inorganic substrate. I bare rooted all these trees prior to potting them up.

Here's the link:

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I would add some Moss at the Trunk creating a Slope down to the Pot rim...by maybe 1/2" total....this would add to the Overall look.....Just my Opinion.....Otherwise an outstanding example of a Boxwood Bonsai with an Ancient Distressed and Unique Trunk...You do good work.....
Another after thought....Turning the Front view just a touch, maybe 1" either Left or Right will hide the Hole or Empty Space Source has Pointed out....

Last edited:

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks. Yeah, l use a mix of pumice D.earth, and lava rock.
Next one l dig, I'll cut back, otherwise they seem too leggy.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Another after thought....Turning the Front view just a touch, maybe 1" either Left or Right will hide the Hole or Empty Space Source has Pointed out....
Yes. I realized this after Sorce's comment. If I rotate it to the left a bit, it eliminates that hole and you see a more powerful trunk that way too. Win win. Next year.

Thanks for your comment and Suggestions 😊

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Misfit,
Grabbed a boxwood today and cut it back. I'll see where buds pop and make some decisions in the next year or two as it recovers.

Attachments

• 20200324_145826.jpg
    20200324_145826.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200324_121452.jpg
    20200324_121452.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 60

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice material 👌 Good luck with it.

BTW, I see you're in Boise. I have lots of family in Boise, Nampa, Star area.

ponderingsage

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
@misfit11 Can I ask a follow up question about my boxwood? I have it in partial shade(where it gets light until just after mid-day), My bench is in full sun. I am considering moving it there. There are no buds popping yet, although there are a few of the remaining branches hanging on(3 of the 6 that it had after cutting back... so perhaps it is best to stay in the shade. What would you recommend?

Yeah, There is a nice club here...although no meetings right now.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@misfit11 Can I ask a follow up question about my boxwood? I have it in partial shade(where it gets light until just after mid-day), My bench is in full sun. I am considering moving it there. There are no buds popping yet, although there are a few of the remaining branches hanging on(3 of the 6 that it had after cutting back... so perhaps it is best to stay in the shade. What would you recommend?

Yeah, There is a nice club here...although no meetings right now.
I would leave it in the partial shade personally. Boxwoods in general are an understory species and also since this was recently collected full sun usually isn't recommended.
We aren't having meetings or workshops here either. Hopefully they'll ease restrictions in time for REBS Annual Show in August. 🤞

Top Bottom