Another calcined clay resource

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just ran across this on the inter webs. It appears to be a more universal grain size than turface and without the fines. $19.99 for 15.4 lbs. same stuff though. Has anyone experimented with it?

Attachments

• CB9180F9-2A6F-4EBD-826A-A14E6DAB0C55.jpeg
    CB9180F9-2A6F-4EBD-826A-A14E6DAB0C55.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 76

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Excuse my auto correct, it appears it is a more uniform grain size

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Disappointed no one had anything on this.

I can see this working out well, but haven't ever tried. It obviously can handle being soaked for long periods, but freeze/thaw cycles, actual water retention in a pot, etc., are all still unknown.
Next time I have some money (probably in another 20 years or so) I'll see about picking up a bag of this or something similar, and let folks know.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Disappointed no one had anything on this.

I can see this working out well, but haven't ever tried. It obviously can handle being soaked for long periods, but freeze/thaw cycles, actual water retention in a pot, etc., are all still unknown.
Next time I have some money (probably in another 20 years or so) I'll see about picking up a bag of this or something similar, and let folks know.
Everything I’ve looked at and read about this points to calcined clay. Sadly they keep the ingredients “top secret”, even the MSDS lists the ingredients as “proprietary”… Probably to keep the aquarium hobbyist from going out and buying a bag of safe t dry. It’s the particle size that looks tempting, I will swing by petsmart tomorrow and see what it’s all about because I just finished sifting a bag of safe t dry and only got a gallon and a half if 1/8+ out of the whole bag.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, that's why even when I have money I haven't gone the kitty litter or floor absorbent route. All I hear is the amount of waste product, and if I have to work for it anyway, I'll just go in the hills and dig and sift my own for free.

This stuff looks to be specifically made for plants, though, so possibly pre-sifted.
I just wonder what sort of water retention you might get out of something designed to be submerged.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, that's why even when I have money I haven't gone the kitty litter or floor absorbent route. All I hear is the amount of waste product, and if I have to work for it anyway, I'll just go in the hills and dig and sift my own for free.

This stuff looks to be specifically made for plants, though, so possibly pre-sifted.
I just wonder what sort of water retention you might get out of something designed to be submerged.
I’m going to do some experimenting this weekend. If I can find it

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know anything about it except what I can see on your photo. Looking at the sample, it appears the particles are sharp rather than rounded. I prefer rounded particles for my soil.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Seachem makes a lot of great aquarium supplies, but in the planted aquarium space that this product is made for it was always frowned upon when I was in that world. I still use Seachem Safe in our koi pond.

Anyhow, in the past I tried some fired clay aquarium substrate (ADA Aquasoil Amazonia) as a planting medium for tress, and was disappointed with the result. Not saying that it’s all bad, but I probably wouldn’t personally experiment with it again when something like pumice serves me so well.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Walmart kitty litter. No scent or chemicals and the higher end stuff.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went, I looked, I did not buy. It doesn’t appear to be large enough grain size to be worth buying. I felt a lot of 1/8- fines through the bag. It does however appear to be calcined clay. It was worth a long shot. No wonder why they are so secretive about the ingredients. Just plain oil dry/turface with a huge mark up.

Top Bottom