Another colander thought: putting a colander on top of another pot.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
I've read about the method of putting the colander in the open ground. As well as putting a colander within a colander and sometimes even a third. But as I was looking at one of my trees in a colander, I noticed something. There were no roots growing out of the side holes because they were being air pruned. There were roots growing out of the bottom holes, though. This gave me an idea to try.

Instead of putting the colander IN a pot or the ground, I put it on top of the soil surface of another part. None of the colanders sides are exposed to soil, so hopefully the surface roots will still be air pruned, while the bottom roots will be able to grow into the second pot in a similar fashion to the root escape method. I think it should also prevent the possibility of overpotting because the plant isn't actually in the ground.

What do you think?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are defeating the purpose of putting a tree into a colander. If you wish the roots to escape to build a bigger tree, then why do you have it in a colander? A person puts a tree into a colander for a few years to get the roots ready for a bonsai pot, not growing out trees by allowing it to escape the colander. If you wish to build a larger trunk than just put it into the ground and use a colander later when you have achieved proper size.

...or do whatever you want.....Only in America!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GroveKeeper ,

step over to Ausbonsai, lots of colander growth to read about.

If you allow the tree to stay long enough in the colander, it develops a root
core, and then after you place it in the ground, the tree grows out the roots.

The plant grows a large trunk even faster, and 6 main branches.

When you want to lift the colander, the root core will normally protect the
plant and you can simply leave in the colander pot for a few more months and
the root/air prune process starts over.
Essentially it is a safety net technique for the tree.

When you rest on the ground, the roots grow from underneath and do the same
but you - might - have an even safer technique for getting large trunks and the
6 main branches.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, that is the technique you use.
Examples below.
Good Day
Anthony

just removed - Hackberry

hack col.jpg
After the colander was removed it was grown for a year in a very large oval bonsai pot then onto
the one below.

Process continued and next stage over sized pot for ramification

hac.jpg

this years spring flush for continued ramification -

hack 2.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rather than cut off all downward growing roots...

You can isolate a long one and strip the close roots away...
But leave a mass at the end that could be allowed earth.

Same for side roots that need to enlarge..

Collected trees..

Enjoyment of colander techniques...
Same as Bonsai too!

Limited only by your own imagination!

#growoutcrew

Sorce

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I think you are defeating the purpose of putting a tree into a colander. If you wish the roots to escape to build a bigger tree, then why do you have it in a colander? A person puts a tree into a colander for a few years to get the roots ready for a bonsai pot, not growing out trees by allowing it to escape the colander. If you wish to build a larger trunk than just put it into the ground and use a colander later when you have achieved proper size.

so.much.yes.

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score

I see what you're saying. My thought process is this might allow the air pruning effect to promote decent surface roots in the colander, while promoting more vigorous top growth by allowing some roots to grow down into the other pot. When you want to repot, you just remove the bigger downward growing roots and keep the flat surface roots.

Top Bottom