another cookie cutter procumbens

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
This is how I puchased the tree two years ago. The first spring I separated the two trees when I repotted, then allowed them to recover for the next year. They have been very leggy with the foliage out away from the trunks, since I purchased them.

DSC_0094.jpgDSC_0096.jpgDSC_0092.jpgDSC_0093.jpg

Last edited:

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
This is the main tree after it's first styling this spring. It has backbudded in a few spots, I just have not committed to regrowing a few branches completely from the trunk. I am debating attempting to graft shimpaku foliage onto the tree.

DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
the other half of the tree had most of the foliage farther away from the trunk. I really like the base of the trunk, but I have been struggling what to do with it. So this spring I split the trunk, where the trunk naturally split into two different directions and began pulling the main section down to form a cascade. The cascade was really my last resort, as there are a few dead portions in the trunk which seemed to make bending the main section of the tree back on itself to compact it, not plausible.

DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0022.jpg

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
why do u think of grafting shimpaku? I saw a few procumbens at Lowes today but couldn't pull the trigger figure I'd do more research 1st. There were in 2 or 3 gallon pots, not sure if there're 2 trees inside or not it's very hard to see the trunk that's hidden inside all the heavy low foliage.

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
I would graft shipmaku for a few reasons. To me the foliage is much more desirable, particularly that of the kishu shimpaku, which I have been propagating for the last few years. So whips for approach grafts or, buds for bud grafting are readily available to me.

Second, it would solve my issues waiting for the tree to backbud in certain places. I could graft on foliage to existing branches, exactly where I would like it. The left side of this tree uses fore shortening extensively, because the foliage is so far from the trunk. I think to some degree this looks un-natural, but it allowed me to style the tree, while waiting for back buds, and existing buds to grow out to replace the twisted up branches.

Thirdly, I personally don't care for procumbens at all, ( even though they make up a fair amount of my collection). I feel that with shimpaku, I could end up with a much more refined and visually appealling tree.

Top Bottom