Another Cryptomeria - Imitating a Sequoia or Redwood

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, your otaku blog is REALLY nice!

thank you...!! I hope to begin putting more info there and of course writing more ... hopefully it will inspire us to spread the love a little more!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've looked thru this thread before, and admire this tree greatly. It has all the aspects that bonsai is to me. Look at it without the pot, and you would not know it is bonsai. (kinda says it all...)

I would love to see this tree in a stone type slab.... not a super flat one though, something with a rugged shape...

Thanks for updating your threads, it's so cool to see what is going on.:)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Judy. In my mind this and my Alpine fir group planting are tied neck and neck for that "would-not-know-it-is-bonsai" ideal. I'm not sure why I've always resisted slabs, but you are absolutely correct that the right one would probably enhance its naturalness. Have to give that some thought, although the tree might then go into a deep depression, pining for its beloved antique Tokonome. :( Are there Tokonome slabs?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, Judy. In my mind this and my Alpine fir group planting are tied neck and neck for that "would-not-know-it-is-bonsai" ideal. I'm not sure why I've always resisted slabs, but you are absolutely correct that the right one would probably enhance its naturalness. Have to give that some thought, although the tree might then go into a deep depression, pining for its beloved antique Tokonome. :( Are there Tokonome slabs?

If there are, would we be able to afford them??? :p
But yes, I see that in a multi level type.
I'll bet you can find another tree in the collection that is perfect for that pot....

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree!
Thanks for reviving this thread. I no longer have the cryptomeria from this thread - gave it away to someone when I tried to retire overseas 18 months ago, but I can't remember who I gave it to. The one pictured below, however, I left with Dan Robinson, and when I came back 9 months later unexpectedly, he hadn't worked on it at all and let me have it back. I've done some trimming and initial carving since then, but these are such natural trees that there's really not very much to do except simply admire them, which I do every day with this guy. One woman I know who is a big Harry Potter fan, calls this a "Harry Potter Tree!" but - as is typical with this woman - I have no idea what that means ...... Anyway, not a "formal" high-quality photo of this guy due to the loss of much of my photographic stuff during "retirement", but hope you like it anyway.

Cryptomeria - 1.jpg

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for reviving this thread. I no longer have the cryptomeria from this thread - gave it away to someone when I tried to retire overseas 18 months ago, but I can't remember who I gave it to. The one pictured below, however, I left with Dan Robinson, and when I came back 9 months later unexpectedly, he hadn't worked on it at all and let me have it back. I've done some trimming and initial carving since then, but these are such natural trees that there's really not very much to do except simply admire them, which I do every day with this guy. One woman I know who is a big Harry Potter fan, calls this a "Harry Potter Tree!" but - as is typical with this woman - I have no idea what that means ...... Anyway, not a "formal" high-quality photo of this guy due to the loss of much of my photographic stuff during "retirement", but hope you like it anyway.

View attachment 252726
Hey will I sent an email, not sure if you received it. Is Saturday good? I’m free until 1:15 on Saturday or all day Sunday!

Top Bottom