Another Dawn Redwood Question

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few Dawn Redwoods and Bald Cypresses that have been growing in a large plastic tub for three years. They are about six ft tall and two inches in diameter at the base. I want to chop them to about ten inches tall AND plant them in the ground. Root work would be minimal. Buds are just starting to show.

Can anyone tell me if this is too much for these trees to handle, or are they tough enough to take the abuse?

Thanks.

Bob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few Dawn Redwoods and Bald Cypresses that have been growing in a large plastic tub for three years. They are about six ft tall and two inches in diameter at the base. I want to chop them to about ten inches tall AND plant them in the ground. Root work would be minimal. Buds are just starting to show.

Can anyone tell me if this is too much for these trees to handle, or are they tough enough to take the abuse?

Thanks.

Bob

Bob,
A lot is going to depend on where you are. Please fill out your profile information. Generally speaking, these are strong trees, and if you leave good roots they should have no problem with that amount of work. Generally speaking.

Chris

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Chris. I thought I filled that profile out. I'm in zone 6, southwest Pa. I plan on doing this next week.

Last edited:

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
As a fellow zone 6-er with Dawn Redwoods, the trees will survive this just fine, but don't expect much growth this year unless you treat the ground planting like a simple slip-pot (not disturbing the roots at all). If you decide to cut the tap roots and plant them over tiles to develope their nebari, then the growth won't be as vigorous this season (since they will focus more energy on restoring the root system), but the tree will respond well the following year.

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks emk. The tap roots were cut when I first got them, and I am planning on doing the tile thing. I was watching your thread a few days ago but your tree was already in the ground. Come Monday I'll be hacking and planting, and wating for freaking spring to get here!

Bob.

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
I've cut dawn redwoods back quite hard and they seem to grow like weeds...

Jon

Top Bottom