Another day off...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4,

I agree that the foliage on the top needs to go. You can make a spectacular tree out of this one.

Next time you repot, you need to pot it a little lower. The soil should be level, not mounded up. Boon really stressed that at the latest Intensive.

Thanks Adair, I think this one will look great in a short time...Just needs a little time and the right pot. Just so you know, there is no mounding going on, and the soil level is below the rim of the pot.

Edit:...well, hardly any mounding:)

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric, good luck buddy and here's to uninterrupted electrical service for both of us. My kids are 11 and 14, so all I have to worry about if we lose power is to keep them from playing with the candles.

Though...I do have 3 ball pythons and a blue tongued skink in the house...we might all be sleeping together tonight if the power goes out:eek::eek::eek:

That is funny, I used to keep reptiles as well! I had Chameleons primarily, but I also owned a Gecko, bearded dragon and a couple other things at various times... Never a snake though!

Well good luck, let's hope for the best!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Though...I do have 3 ball pythons and a blue tongued skink in the house...we might all be sleeping together tonight if the power goes out

That's a whole new twist on a 3 dog night....

Hoping everyone keeps their electric.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2nd out of three done! This one will need years of growing and carving before it amounts to anything, but it's a good start.

Attachments

• DSCF3113.jpg
    DSCF3113.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 242

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's 27 F and raining here in Marietta.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 45

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, the three dogs will be in the bed, too:D
That black and white hound sleeps just like my foxhound. Sprawled all over the bed. And if that one is like mine, he does it a LOT.
Snow started here in MD about 7PM and because it is cold the snow covered the driveway quickly. Calling for 10-14" where I am, which is a good bit more than any usual snowfall. Got my removal gear all juiced and ready.
Good luck to everyone on the east coast.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're beautiful in the snow. That red pine is my favorite! :)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
maaan !!!

I feel for you guys

best wishes, sam

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Day three....things are getting ugly. Another 2 inches of snow on top of the two inches of snow, ice and freezing rain from the previous 24 hours. The driveway, which is over 50 yards long and extremely steep (you need to put your vehicle in low gear when its DRY to get up it), needs to be cleared, and one mistake may be the end of me. My wife is still stranded in Baltimore. She's rebooked twice only to have them cancelled. The kids are refusing to eat my homemade cooking and will only eat pizza. We're down to one Digiorno cheese. What they don't realize is that we're quickly running out of food and may have to eat the dogs if things don't change in a hurry. I think the frenchie has the most meat on her, but she's a poop eater...I won't go there unless we absolutely have to. It's gonna have to be pointer...he's skinny but he's young so I bet he'll taste like veal.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:
Just kidding....the kids are actually eating most of what I cook, and the freezer has at least 3 large meatlover's pies just waiting to be cooked...the rest is unfortunately true. Here's to a sunny afternoon:cool:.

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0042.jpg
    DSC_0042.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 379

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Day three....things are getting ugly. Another 2 inches of snow on top of the two inches of snow, ice and freezing rain from the previous 24 hours. The driveway, which is over 50 yards long and extremely steep (you need to put your vehicle in low gear when its DRY to get up it), needs to be cleared, and one mistake may be the end of me. My wife is still stranded in Baltimore. She's rebooked twice only to have them cancelled. The kids are refusing to eat my homemade cooking and will only eat pizza. We're down to one Digiorno cheese. What they don't realize is that we're quickly running out of food and may have to eat the dogs if things don't change in a hurry. I think the frenchie has the most meat on her, but she's a poop eater...I won't go there unless we absolutely have to. It's gonna have to be pointer...he's skinny but he's young so I bet he'll taste like veal.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:
Just kidding....the kids are actually eating most of what I cook, and the freezer has at least 3 large meatlover's pies just waiting to be cooked...the rest is unfortunately true. Here's to a sunny afternoon:cool:.

Dav4,

The sun will come out tomorrow, bottom dollar and all that.

Regards,
Martin

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for giving me a belly laugh this morning. Although I know what that is like to live thru, it's so important to have a sense of humor about it all. Good luck to your wife, and be careful clearing the drive... (I know about that too, ours is 1/2 mile long, curvy, and steep.)

(save the poop eater for last..., eat the snakes next)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I forgot about the snakes...taste like chicken!

Just heard from my wife...can't get out of Baltimore until Saturday:mad:.

Perfect one Pizza for each day :p

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just heard from my wife...can't get out of Baltimore until Saturday:mad:.
The good news is that since we had 12-18" inches up here, she'll look at what is in GA and wonder why you didnt paint the house or plow the garden or wash all the windows. You still have two days to get it done!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
3 out of 3!

So, the sun has been out for most of the day and much of the snow and ice is gone. I was out early scraping what I could off the driveway but probably didn't need to as the sun was bright and beautiful today. What's left out on the roads will refreeze tonight but will the roads will most certainly be passable once the sun comes up...alas, my snow day(s) vacation will end tomorrow. So, with a heavy heart, I present to all of you the third of three trees I worked on while marooned up on my little piece of paradise with my pizza eating kids, the poop eating dog, and those delicious snakes...man, I really need to get out of this house and back to work:eek:.

Attachments

• DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 40

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sweet little tree. Glad all is getting back to normal for you guys, the wintry mix is hitting us as we speak.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sweet little tree. Glad all is getting back to normal for you guys, the wintry mix is hitting us as we speak.

Thanks Tom. The tree needs a little more cleanup and tweaking with the wires but overall, I'm quite happy with where it is right now. Good luck with the weather...here's hoping you're east and/or south of the rain snow line:D.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
there WILL be tomatoes planted in my yard by April 1st. Opinions?:cool:

It's March 30th, 37 F and quite windy here in N GA...coldest temp forecast for the next 10 days is 42 F...and there's a flat with 5 different varieties of tomatoes sitting on my bench next to a Dale Colchoy glazed oval....hmmmmm...:D

Attachments

• DSCF3179.jpg
    DSCF3179.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 28

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
....and this is a twisted up shimpaku in a 5 gal can I cut back and twisted up a bit more yesterday....guess what soil it's growing in?:p

Attachments

• DSCF3180.jpg
    DSCF3180.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom