Another day off...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
seriously. Everything is buried under snow right now. More crap coming Thursday. I've had enough. I just want to see some green!

What he said exactly :mad:

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It's official, Chicago area is now on record for the coldest winter, most number of nights with lows below zero. In 125 years of records, never have we had as many sub-zero nights. The up side is, in terms of absolute cold, the coldest so far has only been -16 F for the real temp. (not wind chill) Though in the far west suburbs they did hit -27 F, about 50 miles west of my location.
I had - 25 F at my home some 30 years ago, never want to see that again. Like a hat that slipped off the top of one's head, we got the ever shrinking blob of cold polar air to park over central Canada and US, and the Russians couldn't buy a snowflake if they wanted too. Fruit trees that should not bloom until April-May over there are blooming now, even into Siberia. EU has been incredibly warm and some areas, incredibly wet.

Oh well. My serious case of climate zone envy will end the first day I hear Atlanta & Louisville hit 100+ F with 90+% relative humidity. Here I get the cooling lake breezes, and would not trade them for any brand of air conditioning. Even with the 'warming climate' most years we average less than 14 days with temps over 95 F. Summer ain't so bad here.

Nice work on the juniper.

Last edited:

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess on the plus side of all this cold weather maybe the tridents in my garage wont wake up early. It's rough when a tree breaks dormancy too early and you need keep your fingers crossed for no more freezing temps. You know the dreaded bonsai dance every spring. By the way nice set up with your collection Dave. I like how you have it all laid out.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
More days off

Well, it seemed to rain for most of the night, but as I feared, the rain was freezing as it hit the ground. As of 8 am, there's about 1/2" of ice on everything outside. The forecast calls for this to continue all day, so maybe another 1/2" of ice...the media keeps using the word "catastrophic"...crap! Soooo, I might be off until Saturday...stuck at the top of a 70 yard long, extremely steep driveway with my kids (wife stuck in Baltimore:mad:). The juniper I styled yesterday is looking more realistic by the minute!

Attachments

• DSCF3103.jpg
    DSCF3103.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF3104.jpg
    DSCF3104.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 37

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought I'd post a few more pics while I still can. We hardly ever lose power here, but the latest forecast says perhaps 1 1/2" ice by tonight, so.... Anyway, see you on the other side....or later today, as I am getting pretty bored:eek:.

At least the rocky mountain juniper looks happy...

Attachments

• DSCF3105.jpg
    DSCF3105.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF3106.jpg
    DSCF3106.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF3107.jpg
    DSCF3107.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF3108.jpg
    DSCF3108.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF3110.jpg
    DSCF3110.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 46

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We're looking forward to a big storm starting around noon today. wxrisk (I reckon some of you know who that is) is saying that my area is in for 10" of ice and then snow. There is no bread nor milk in the store and the liquor store was precariously low on whiskey. Maybe some carving over the next few days. Stupid groundhog.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hopefully the weather doesn't turn out as bad as everyone promised.

During Snowmageddon 2014 1.0, 2 weeks ago, I was the one stuck out of town and my wife and kids were stuck at home. Yesterday, I couldn't get out of town...it was fine here and in Nashville, but you couldn't get there from here, so we're all "rained in" together. Hope your wife gets home safely, looks like ATL is going to be a mess for a few days.

All of the junis look happy. I like the trunk on the one you did yesterday, and the double-trunk with lots of deadwood is a favorite. Looks like you'll have plenty to work on if you can keep the kids otherwise occupied.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weather forcast

Weather forecast and possible outages aside:
Lovely photos and best of luck with the on coming . . .
Still hasn't decided what we're getting yet. Still rain
for now but the temp is due to fall in a couple hours.
This is a hold tight opportunity, enjoy it; at least you
don't have to take the film to the drugstore to find
out how your shots came out. One aspect of the past
I will NEVER reminisce about.
Funny; to be named PAX when there is nothing peaceful about it.
a.
:D

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it seemed to rain for most of the night, but as I feared, the rain was freezing as it hit the ground. As of 8 am, there's about 1/2" of ice on everything outside. The forecast calls for this to continue all day, so maybe another 1/2" of ice...the media keeps using the word "catastrophic"...crap! Soooo, I might be off until Saturday...stuck at the top of a 70 yard long, extremely steep driveway with my kids (wife stuck in Baltimore:mad:). The juniper I styled yesterday is looking more realistic by the minute!
An inch or more of ice accumulation can be pretty catastrophic...can really do a lot of damage to trees and power lines. Hopefully it won't turn out that bad. Good luck!

Chris

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another 8-10 inches coming to me tonight on top of the foot already frozen solid out there. It's not really anything more than an inconvenience but man I'm just sick of looking at white everywhere.

My trees are all buried underneath with the exception of some pine seedlings i just put into pond baskets last month and threw under the bench. They were covered in snow but it melted and now I'm sure they are just frozen solid as temps are in the teens. Would they be better off buried entirely or just leave em be protected from the wind? They get minimal sun. I'm wondering if they will be alive in spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another 8-10 inches coming to me tonight on top of the foot already frozen solid out there. It's not really anything more than an inconvenience but man I'm just sick of looking at white everywhere.

My trees are all buried underneath with the exception of some pine seedlings i just put into pond baskets last month and threw under the bench. They were covered in snow but it melted and now I'm sure they are just frozen solid as temps are in the teens. Would they be better off buried entirely or just leave em be protected from the wind? They get minimal sun. I'm wondering if they will be alive in spring.

I potted up some JBP seedlings in December and I've been doing my best to keep them from freezing solid, so they've been either just outside or inside my garage door...right now they're inside. Earlier, they saw 26 F in the AM, and they've been inside ever since. I'm not afraid of them freezing solid, but more concerned that they are super sensitive to drying out right now...any sun exposure with frozen roots could be problematic. For you, I'd either bury them again or try to move them to a frost free location. I hope they make it.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Dav, I'm willing to bet they dry out on me. I'll bury them again and see what happens.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Dav, I'm willing to bet they dry out on me. I'll bury them again and see what happens.

Mine are buried and protected from wind only. In the past it has had no ill effects. My Wife however will probably knock off large snow accumulations that could possibly break branches if they freeze but honest I do not touch my stuff and it works out. I have not seen the small stuff for quite some time as it is buried and by the looks of tonight I will not see them until Spring *sigh*

Grimmy

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
If it makes you guys feel better we have forecasted temps in the upper 50's for the next week. So warmer weather is comming.

Last week though we got several inches of snow and low temps in th -20 to -24 range. On Wednesday last week we had a windchill of -42.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it makes you guys feel better we have forecasted temps in the upper 50's for the next week. So warmer weather is comming.

Last week though we got several inches of snow and low temps in th -20 to -24 range. On Wednesday last week we had a windchill of -42.

Warmer temps have been promised here a number of times but reality has always turned out colder than expected. Over the weekend the forecast for tomorrow was mid to upper 30s, now we're expected to stay in the 20s. Current forecast is for the temp to break above freezing Monday. Gotta be right one of these days.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Warmer temps have been promised here a number of times but reality has always turned out colder than expected. Over the weekend the forecast for tomorrow was mid to upper 30s, now we're expected to stay in the 20s. Current forecast is for the temp to break above freezing Monday. Gotta be right one of these days.

I was originally from the Buffalo NY area and frequently traveled to the Northernmost part of the State. I moved here and until recent it has been MUCH milder and I am getting worn out looking out the windows at what I thought I left. This year is just horrible in many States and cannot be avoided *sigh* Funny how I thought Winter was great in my youth...

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My wife occasionally reminds me that when we had first moved south (to Maryland) I used to say I wanted to move to Canada so I could play more ice (pond) hockey. Well, yeah...I was young and stupid then! And here we are 20 years later, almost in Canada...be careful what you wish for!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dav4,

I agree that the foliage on the top needs to go. You can make a spectacular tree out of this one.

Next time you repot, you need to pot it a little lower. The soil should be level, not mounded up. Boon really stressed that at the latest Intensive.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Well we are all snowed/ Iced in as well here in the midlands of SC! I have a two foot snow drift on my back porch, can't tell the yard from the road right now... They say ice is coming and that is what is scary! We dont want any power outages! Good luck Dave, I hope y'all don't lose your power! We have a baby in the house, so I am hoping for the same here!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well we are all snowed/ Iced in as well here in the midlands of SC! I have a two foot snow drift on my back porch, can't tell the yard from the road right now... They say ice is coming and that is what is scary! We dont want any power outages! Good luck Dave, I hope y'all don't lose your power! We have a baby in the house, so I am hoping for the same here!

Eric, good luck buddy and here's to uninterrupted electrical service for both of us. My kids are 11 and 14, so all I have to worry about if we lose power is to keep them from playing with the candles.

Though...I do have 3 ball pythons and a blue tongued skink in the house...we might all be sleeping together tonight if the power goes out:eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom