Another Elm

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a few photos of a Cork Bark Elm that I have had since the late summer of 05. This was an E-bay tree that I got at a reasonable price. Although the trunk was a decent size it had a nasty fork and reverse taper at the top. The first picture was taken last spring (April 2006). After sawing the left fork off I spent some time carving the wound out to ease the transition.
I don't really know where this tree is going but I knew that I did not like it as it was. The second picture is as it is now. Next year will probably just be spent thickening the new leader and beginning the healing of the new wound. Any thoughts or observations are welcome.

Norm

Attachments

• April 2006.jpg
    April 2006.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 91

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Certainly a dramatic improvement. Strange that you don't have more corky bark - my cork elms have a LOT at that size.

You might consider drawing a sketch of where you want the bonsai to end up. Then you can train the branches accordingly and eliminate the buds that won't work for you. Plus it will give us something else to critique :)

Gnome

Mame
Reaction score
B.N.

Certainly a dramatic improvement.
Thanks, I think it looks a lot better.

Strange that you don't have more corky bark - my cork elms have a LOT at that size.
Considering the source I don't have any information on this tree, so I am open to any other possible identifications. I have another Elm that has very smooth, grey bark, much like a Zelkova but definitely a Chinese Elm, so there seems to be a lot of variability.

Norm

Top Bottom