Another field grown elm

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't want to hijack Jeff's post on field grown elms, but this is in response to his posting and concerns about taper. This tree was the fastest growing cutting that I've ever seen. In a couple of years the trunk was four inches across. Strangely, I think this trunk is actually a branch and the main trunk developed underground. Otherwise, a single root was wider across than this trunk. So in a sense, this might be a raft style. I cut it back to induce taper and you can see that this needs to happen again but before I do, I need to establish it in a pot and establish in my mind where I want to go with it.

Any suggestions for styling would be appreciated.

PS The underground trunk/root has sprouted another raft, not quite this size yet.

Attachments

• Big-elm-1.jpg
    Big-elm-1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Big-elm-2.jpg
    Big-elm-2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Big-elm-3.jpg
    Big-elm-3.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Big-elm-4.jpg
    Big-elm-4.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I personally like pic 2 you could make a mother daughter with that image or just cut everything off and use the main trunk as a single trunk specimen.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally like pic 2 you could make a mother daughter with that image or just cut everything off and use the main trunk as a single trunk specimen.

I've been thinking along those same lines. It doesn't have the typical mother/daughter trunk since they go in opposing directions, but there seems to be some symmetry between the two trunks that I like.

Top Bottom