Another field grown trident

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
End of the growing season, 2019. Long leader is to develop the trunk section and to heal wounds on the trunk that I made during collection.

View attachment 271192

View attachment 271193

S

Hi Scott,
Are those leaves just beat up from the long summer in your Texas heat? I struggle to keep my leaves looking good all growing season long unless I defoliate the tree and get a second/third flush.
Lars

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So you cut back this time of year on you Tridents? Would it be better to wait for Spring push? Love this tree thanks for update

Yes - in Houston I do my cut back in fall. Winters are extremely mild here (mostly in the 60s and 70s with occasional cold spells) so nothing is ever really dormant and winter dieback due to freezes is not an issue for us.
S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott,
Are those leaves just beat up from the long summer in your Texas heat? I struggle to keep my leaves looking good all growing season long unless I defoliate the tree and get a second/third flush.
Lars

yes - this one got a bit more leaf damage than others nearby on the same bench. Probably needed a bit more water.
S

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Scott,
Are those leaves just beat up from the long summer in y
Yes - in Houston I do my cut back in fall. Winters are extremely mild here (mostly in the 60s and 70s with occasional cold spells) so nothing is ever really dormant and winter dieback due to freezes is not an issue for us.
S
I think my winters here near Savannah are about the same is the reason I asked. I have the same issues with leaves on deciduous trees. I thought it was anthracnose fungus. I thought I was over watering and maybe being lazy overhead spraying. Here are some pics of my leaves. Is this something I will have to deal with? Along with leaf burn

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_141030.jpg
    IMG_20191120_141030.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20191120_140939.jpg
    IMG_20191120_140939.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 41

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think my winters here near Savannah are about the same is the reason I asked. I have the same issues with leaves on deciduous trees. I thought it was anthracnose fungus. I thought I was over watering and maybe being lazy overhead spraying. Here are some pics of my leaves. Is this something I will have to deal with? Along with leaf burn

Those look like pretty normal fall leaves on a trident to me.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We sent some spring your way a couple weeks ago. Mail is a bit slow I guess.

s
Think that may have came today! Thank god, it was supposed to be cold and rainy, but now its sunny as hell over here. I swear my maples buds are bigger than yesterday!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I removed all the early spring wiring, removed a few leaves to let light and air into the interior. I selected shoots and rewired.

A40AB13C-EEF1-4750-AD7B-1C57727E64CF.jpeg

Wiring the shoots out to the tip allows me to bend the branches up so that the tree still fits on my bench. I need to take advantage of the vertical space when I let the shoots extend like this - but, for me, extension is very important for to build basic branch structure.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Kind of off topic, but have you tried Orval dregs (Brett) in your saison? The flavor evolves dependent on temperature, but can add a real nice complexity to a saison.

I have not, but I made a note. If I can find it, I’ll give it a go in the next batch. Thanks for the tip!.

- S

Top Bottom