Another finished bonsai- restyled this time!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought about adding this link onto the bottom of my other "Finished Bonsai" thread, but I think maybe some might be bored with that discussion and not read it.

So, here's Michael Hagedorn doing a bit of restyling on an established tree.

https://crataegus.com/2016/07/29/needle-juniper-restyling/

My point in posting this is complementary to the other thread. The other thread took an established bonsai that had been allowed to relax and grow out for a while. This tree is pretty well "styled" and groomed when Michael begins. But the old styling had gotten stale, and it now has a new look!

Vance Wood has a thread on one of his Mugo Pines that he has restyled several times during his stewardship. Worth looking it up!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting post. "Finished" trees often outgrow their original designs, with limbs that are too long and apex growth that has to be redesigned. That's especially true with deciduous trees. A complete flushing out of older apex growth is mandatory with many elm species. That means removing 10-20 year old branches to force new stuff. That requires some artistic thinking about which branches to shorten or remove. If you don't have some kind of vision for the future apex, you can wind up screwing up a tree badly.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

That's a pretty dope tree.

Sorce

Top Bottom