Another free ficus!

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Last weekend I was very fortunate to be given this lovely ficus bonsai for free by one of the members of the bonsai club! It is about 2 feet tall. Tell me what you guys think!

Attachments

• 20161010_181819.jpg
    20161010_181819.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20161010_181848.jpg
    20161010_181848.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20161010_181907.jpg
    20161010_181907.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20161010_182028.jpg
    20161010_182028.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 70

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I may end up with another Ficus after seeing this , they are great winter projects . Yeah they sometimes can be fussy Divas, but I'm a Bonsai Nut!

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you both! I've been thinking about what I should do to it first. I think that some of the lower branches would look better if they were bent downward a little more than they are now. What do you think? Any other thoughts on how to improve the look?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
IMO, it's a bit too tall and the branches need a hard cut back so that they aren't so straight and taper-less. Don't do that until after winter though, let the tree be until spring.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I would do an air layer right above the knurled root mass. You have nice primary branching that can be cut back and refined in the successive years. At the same time you can start developing a nice radial root mass. Ficus grow very fast and you could build a nice root system easily.

I used to have a clump ficus that was a variegated ficus fused with a benjamin ficus. I had a chameleon and for the 5 or so years it lived I had a ficus grow inside its cage. Unfortunately after my chameleon died I didn't really bother caring for the plant. At that time I wasn't in bonsai yet. It eventually grew a scale infestation and I was too lazy to treat it. Wish I did and it would of made a nice looking bonsai. Plan to make some air layers off a landscape ficus on my yard maybe next spring.

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
I definitely agree that the branches need to be cut back and less tapered. I think that will be my main goal over the next few years. I also like the idea of air layering the knotty roots off and starting the radial root process. I think this might have to wait a while because my air layering skills aren't that great yet. I've only ever tried one air layer and it didn't go as I planned. I'm sure I'd be able to pull it off but I don't want to risk damaging the tree or killing it!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I definitely agree that the branches need to be cut back and less tapered. I think that will be my main goal over the next few years. I also like the idea of air layering the knotty roots off and starting the radial root process. I think this might have to wait a while because my air layering skills aren't that great yet. I've only ever tried one air layer and it didn't go as I planned. I'm sure I'd be able to pull it off but I don't want to risk damaging the tree or killing it!
Ficus are very easy to airlayer, just cut the ring of bark off above the current roots and place a pot that has had its bottom cut off and place it around the tree (make sure it's big enough) and fill with bonsai soil. It'll root within a month but I'd leave it for 6 months or so to allow the new roots to harden off and thicken a bit.
Of course, do this all in summer next year.

Aaron

Joe R

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ficus are very easy to airlayer, just cut the ring of bark off above the current roots and place a pot that has had its bottom cut off and place it around the tree (make sure it's big enough) and fill with bonsai soil. It'll root within a month but I'd leave it for 6 months or so to allow the new roots to harden off and thicken a bit.
Of course, do this all in summer next year.

Aaron
Ahh I love the pot air layer idea, that sounds much easier than wrapping it with moss and plastic. I guess we will see if I can bring myself to cut into this tree by next summer! :) Do you thing the current roots and base would have a good chance of sprouting new growth? I'd like to keep them just as a funky looking bonsai if all goes well!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ahh I love the pot air layer idea, that sounds much easier than wrapping it with moss and plastic. I guess we will see if I can bring myself to cut into this tree by next summer! :) Do you thing the current roots and base would have a good chance of sprouting new growth? I'd like to keep them just as a funky looking bonsai if all goes well!
It looks like a Benjamina, so it may bud, it may not they can be pretty unpredictable.

Aaron

Top Bottom