Another free tree from work... southern live oak

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Last spring at work we had a live oak die back to only about 8" so I went ahead and wrote it off and stuck it in the rehab area. A year later (today), there's no die back and it was ready to go home with me and get started on its training.

So here it is, one of dozens of trees I've received free from work!

Front20160606_191238.jpg
Back20160606_191254.jpg
And leftside20160606_191301.jpg
YES I did forget to take a picture of the right side but f#ck it! Lol

I'm debating whether or not to remove the lowest left branch, I guess time time will tell. Or maybe you guys could.

This will never be anything close to the one I collected this spring, but it sure turned out nice imo. Let me know what you think!

Aaron

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Not going to lie I like it. Looks like great potential and from the side it looks like it has a perfect bent in the trunk to bring the top twards the view. Great looking material. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good thing you are young!

Nice!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start! I'd keep an eye on that arching branch just below the chop. You may want to chop it back considerably as the tree matures. The rainbow arch in it will be distracting. I'd aim to chop it back by two thirds and use the resulting backbudding to make the branch less uniform and more ruggedly "oaky."

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice start! I'd keep an eye on that arching branch just below the chop. You may want to chop it back considerably as the tree matures. The rainbow arch in it will be distracting. I'd aim to chop it back by two thirds and use the resulting backbudding to make the branch less uniform and more ruggedly "oaky."
There's already some buds popping just were you recommend chopping back to, I'll let them grow a bit then chop back. Good idea!
How do you feel about that lowest left branch? It's weird, but without it I feel the tree will be unbalanced.

Aaron

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd bend the wire a bit more at the end to give it a little more "movement." I wouldn't touch it after that for a while. Let it grow unpruned (remove the wire just as it start to bite in) That will set the initial movement into the branch near the trunk. Allow it to thicken until it's a closer match to the trunk. That will probably take at least a year, probably two or even more, but that branch is important as it will help set the foundation for the tree's image.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This tree has grown very well all year, I've pruned the upper branches as the shoots harden off but am leaving that lowest branch to grow freely and thicken.20160903_082027.jpg
Looks like I need to wire again!

Aaron

Top Bottom