Another GIANT Hollow Trunk Redwood

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is yet another huge redwood that Jim had me hollow out. It was an unfinished project from last year's summer apprenticeship, and we both agreed it was time to complete the carving. The tree stands over 3 feet tall, and I'll try to update the pictures when I have more. It has LOTS of work left. I still need to do some detail carving, let the wood dry, burn it, and of course many years of re-wiring. Let me know what yall think!

Attachments

• DSCF1832.jpg
    DSCF1832.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCF1833.jpg
    DSCF1833.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCF1835.jpg
    DSCF1835.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCF1837.jpg
    DSCF1837.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCF1838.jpg
    DSCF1838.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 376

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like it took a long time to do, does the tree notice this much carving? It looks like it'll be nice after it weathers.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It looks great, Brian! Definitely update it once you've burned it out etc.

BTW, you weren't there at the meeting on Tuesday. Jim brought the other Redwood that you'd carved for show-and-tell. He was giving you heaps of praise for your carving talents!

Cory

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Judy; so far every redwood I have carved, extreme or slight, has never noticed at all. Unless you leave absolutely no live vein to feed a portion of the tree, they seem to not even skip a beat. They appear to be very good at re-routing energy to whatever is living.

Cory; yeah, I double booked my night as I totally forgot about the meeting. I was even joking around with Jim on Friday about how "I don't need to go to the meeting since your doing the demo..." Oops... I heard about it from the guys yesterday during the workshop, it is an honor to get such praise from a teacher I look up to so much. How'd you like the redwood?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Update

I checked this tree out at the last workshop, and it is doing great. No lost branches, and everything is still growing strong!

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
No updated pictures, sorry. Maybe in the next month or so.

I often leave the branches a bit longer on these at first to thicken them and to make sure the bend sets nicely. It will be cut back pretty hard and developed from there. The foliage continues to get smaller as you go, and will keep backbudding forever.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree and the work... Pic 3 that shows the entire tree is just awesome.. Even in it's pre bonsai state, the tree is majestic.. It just commands respect.

Rob

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Rob! Once I get all my new carving bits I'll be going through a few more of my redwoods. Should be fun.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Quick update; this tree is doing very well and has suffered no ill effects from the original styling. The branches that were kept long at the beginning are now cut much shorter and wired. I have yet to burn this one out, which will really help the tree look older and more mature.

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 139

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Brian Underwood what kind of Redwood is this that you do this too? Have you ever tried it with Dawn Redwoods? Very cool what you are able to do with these!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This goes back three or four years. Does anyone know how the tree or the artist is doing?

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This goes back three or four years. Does anyone know how the tree or the artist is doing?
Says he was active last Sunday, so I tagged him in it. And he's still selling on eBay, I remember seeing one of these on there 3-4 years ago & was blown away. I did find another post of his saying these were coast redwoods which I believe are just out of my zone but I have a few Dawn Redwoods growing out right now (started from foot seedlings bought on eBay a few years back) & was curious if he felt they could handle this treatment.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow, old thread, but that carving is nothing but awesome.
lol I'm going through a lot of old ones so don't be surprised if the member is still active if you see me ask questions on them. Trying to put bonsai as my main hobby this summer instead of 2-4, so researching now so I'm ready to gain practical experience when the weather is right.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
It looks great, Brian! Definitely update it once you've burned it out etc.

BTW, you weren't there at the meeting on Tuesday. Jim brought the other Redwood that you'd carved for show-and-tell. He was giving you heaps of praise for your carving talents!

Cory
Jeeze I miss REBS!

Top Bottom