Another gnarly batch of junipers

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So here are another 15-20 7 gallon junipers in different states of neglect. All of the stuff I get is from a now defunct nursery that has tons of stuff that I get super cheap. I just take whatever they load on the truck when I can get them to come. Its kind of infrequent but I get a lot of really great stuff. Some is rough but I just treat it like a challenge :)
20150710_182301.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you clean it up or just leave it all shabby?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, looking like a great place to source material. And the natural die-off means you get great character after recovery, probably. Do you have any before/after shots of individual trees that have been styled?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Most of all the die back with everything I get is due to about two years ago he stopped watering. So a lot of stuff has had to struggle but it creates character in some trees. I don't do a lot of pictures but here is one that started from the exact same material. I'll snap some shots today and show some more.
IMG_20150428_102724.jpg

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is one I worked on a few mins ago. It started out from exactly the same main batch of these like the ones in my OP. I took off the thick piece of wire and tape I used to wrench up the one branch that it had left growing and wired the small branches into a basic shape. Only a year or so since it got initially worked so it need time to fill.
IMG_20150711_084916.jpg

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Haha now you guys have got me taking pictures. Here is another I put the can in for scale - they are all about this size 2-3" trunks. This one needs to get this skinny wire off and rewired so I'll do it now :)2015-07-11_09.07.01.jpg

fh05

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You put them in small pots in one go? please shed some light on this process ie. nursery pot to bonsai pot

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You put them in small pots in one go? please shed some light on this process ie. nursery pot to bonsai pot
I think it depends on the root system it has and the trunk size you want. If you want a thick trunk you should do that first (put in ground/huge pot). When the trunk is good you should train the roots so it has enough feeder roots and fits the bonsaipot (remove taproot/big roots). Sometimes when u have good material it's possible to do it in 1 go. (but you need trunk-fatness first and enough roots, or a strong tree/species).

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
A lot of stuff that is neglected nursery material that i get has had a lot of soil washed out of the tops of pots and the roots have made a thinner and tighter compact root ball near the trunk. When I get em out in most cases there are large sections of dead roots corresponding to the die back on top and some dry sections where the roots aren't getting anything anyway. I can usually trim back to healthier roots and then with really good after care the trees usually respond well since before they were getting nothing - no fertilizer barely any water etc. I also live in a pretty warm climate so I can get the trees nice and humid and wet to promote growth/recovery. Plus I prefer to do the most aggressive work to the roots only once so that it can spend more time in a pot without needing a repot for a while. While I wouldn't recommend it for everyone I have taken 15 to 30 gallon trees into pretty small boxes and shallow pots in one shot. I also get material pretty cheap and have access to a lot of it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool stuff. Too bad you are on the wrong side of the pond, else I would be stopping by and help left your burden somewhat :D

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Ilex like this 15 gallon - I have several that I cut back from the size in the back to the small box pictured in one shot. They were stumps and have grown like weeds and will be ready for a pot anytime. And also this monster holly went from a 30 gallon directly into this super shallow pot. Again growing like a weed.
IMG_20150711_161519.jpg IMG_20150711_161545.jpg IMG_20150711_161458.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeez, I was just going to post about what I thought was my good luck purchasing that same kind of stock for only $5 each.

Then I see that you get them 15-20 at a time... and delivered to boot? There's always someone luckier, smarter, richer, more handsome and drinking better beer than me! Oh well, I'll post my $5 finds in a new thread tomorrow.

Good luck with that batch. I'm thinking that 90% of us are jealous.

CW

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just wondering how these came allong after a couple years still got any of these around?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Just wondering how these came allong after a couple years still got any of these around?

Gave about 50 trees away recently to my club and others but these three are from that batch I believe. I know the one in the small pot is for sure with those long dead whips.
20180921_181501.jpg20180921_181405.jpg20180921_181619.jpg

Top Bottom