Another green thumb here pulled in by the alluring Bonzai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
PDT
Hi Everyone,

I have always loved Bonzai creations and have tried to keep one that I purchased many years ago and was unfortunately dumbfounded as I tried to keep one alive and failed miserably. Admittedly I don't think I spent enough time getting to know my Bonzai.

I ran into a Bonzai video amidst my current Aquascaping project while I was researching and decided this is the time to get started as I want to do this with my "older mother, she's sick" so it will be great therapy and I got my green thumb from her and my grandmother. Prior to that I have been just reading this forum and the posts for the last few months without participating in any posts, just trying to learn a little something.

I found the picture that I am attaching (the first one) and said to myself, I am going to learn about this amazing plant and have some fun with my mother (help her to learn and get involved as well). I also have been playing around with home projects in my yard, I love Ferns and mosses and succulents and wanted to create some "Fern Succulent" gardens an idea (mosses will be soon as it gets colder) that I just decided I wanted to try on my own. I have attached a picture of that as well, just sharing some of the things I do in my intro. We spent a few hours creating this bed of succulents and ferns over the last few weekends.

The attached picture of "some type of Bonzai" that I would like to ID if someone could help is the idea that really inspired me.

Lastly is one of my current aquacaping projects and just part of my intro. and what I am into. So, I have a green thumb and as they say in the aquascaping world, "wet sleeves".

Looking forward to making some new friends, learning and having fun with Bonzai.

Attachments

• Bonzai Tree.jpg
    Bonzai Tree.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 61

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The picture is almost too small, but I believe the tree you're so enamored with is a 'Tosho' needle juniper, probably collected in Japan. You have good taste, but you've set the bar quite high for yourself. Good luck!

...and it's "bonsai";).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tank!

Nice garden!

Nice for mom!
(And grandma's are the shit!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Aww yeah. Bonsai is super great. You'll find it can be incredibly rewarding. Glad to have you here and feel free to ask any questions.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome from one newbie to another :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have always loved Bonzai creations and have tried to keep one that I purchased many years ago and was unfortunately dumbfounded as I tried to keep one alive and failed miserably. Admittedly I don't think I spent enough time getting to know my Bonzai.

I ran into a Bonzai video amidst my current Aquascaping project while I was researching and decided this is the time to get started as I want to do this with my "older mother, she's sick" so it will be great therapy and I got my green thumb from her and my grandmother. Prior to that I have been just reading this forum and the posts for the last few months without participating in any posts, just trying to learn a little something.

I found the picture that I am attaching (the first one) and said to myself, I am going to learn about this amazing plant and have some fun with my mother (help her to learn and get involved as well). I also have been playing around with home projects in my yard, I love Ferns and mosses and succulents and wanted to create some "Fern Succulent" gardens an idea (mosses will be soon as it gets colder) that I just decided I wanted to try on my own. I have attached a picture of that as well, just sharing some of the things I do in my intro. We spent a few hours creating this bed of succulents and ferns over the last few weekends.

The attached picture of "some type of Bonzai" that I would like to ID if someone could help is the idea that really inspired me.

Lastly is one of my current aquacaping projects and just part of my intro. and what I am into. So, I have a green thumb and as they say in the aquascaping world, "wet sleeves".

Looking forward to making some new friends, learning and having fun with Bonzai.
Keeping pets in terrariums (reptiles, fish) and what you refer to as "aquascaping" - new to me?- seems to have a strong correlation to what most find alluring about Bonsai. You will find many here who keep aquariums, terrariums, exotic pets... in addition to Bonsai. I used to myself... the wife and daughters would not tolerate me keeping that stuff indoors so I am exclusively Bonsai now.

Though the plants you show are not Bonsai, I get the impression you feel you have a solid leg up on the practice from keeping plants previously? A word of caution- this is a whole other ball game! Don't rush in and buy some massive expensive tree. Learn to care for some varieties we use in Bonsai first- Juniper, Maple, Elm... then once you have mastered keeping them happy, get them THRIVING, then consider putting them through the rigors of Bonsai care.

Good luck and welcome.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome DD70, enjoy your stay.
I LOVE this place!!!

BB

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
At the end of fall, check out your local nurseries for clear out sales. Some things I look for when picking a victim include:

1. A nice thick trunk
2. Something with some "movement" in the trunk
3. Small leafs

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome aboard. Yep, the tree in the photo is a juniper.

You are in California, and junipers in general really grow well. With the long growing season of California, you can develop really fine quality juniper bonsai, much more rapidly than someone like myself, where I have relatively short summers. Start with several varieties of Juniper chinensis. There are several forms including a needled form that are very practical for bonsai. Shimpaku, Itogawa, Kishu, are three of the scale needle varieties. Fudo is one of the needle varieties.

An aside, almost all junipers have both needle foliage, and scale foliage. The needle foliage does not produce seed, and is considered juvenile, the scale foliage will produce seed, and is considered mature. The ones used for bonsai tend to be stable, in generally producing only one type of foliage. The San Jose juniper is one that switches back and forth easily, sometimes on the same branch.

So pick up a few junipers, and let's get started.

Top Bottom