Another hobby I've had for 16 years....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I keep show koi in my backyard pond. It's 5000 gals. with 12 VERY large Japanese koi. If you think bonsai are trying sometimes, keep koi. My koi are all females, just like in the real world, they are more desirable than males because they have prettier shaped bodies (TRUE). The Japanese looking house used to be my shade house, but now my wife took it over for her potting house.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC00731.JPG
    DSC00731.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00732.JPG
    DSC00732.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00263.JPG
    DSC00263.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00298 (2).JPG
    DSC00298 (2).JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00733.JPG
    DSC00733.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 44

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love your backyard. Can you show some pics of how you have your bonsai displayed?

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry, that is one beautiful pond and well cared for back yard you have there. I know next to nothing about koi. I know they can cost many thousands of dollars though. My next door neighbor has a very small pond with a few koi. Imagine her horror when she looked out her kitchen window and sees A blue heron fly away with her most expensive koi! Ouch! :(

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I love your backyard. Can you show some pics of how you have your bonsai displayed?

I built monkey poles around my shade house. During the heat of the summer they were in the shade house. If I wanted to enjoy one or two of my trees in the evening, I would bring them up to the patio and set them on a brick ledge that encloses my patio. I believe it shows in one of the pictures.

Harry

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry,

That is spectacular. You have done some terrific work. I wish I had enough room for a koi pond in my backyard. I've always wanted one.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry,
Thanks for the tour in your garden. Love the koi pond also. How about some pictures of you trees?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,
Thanks for the tour in your garden. Love the koi pond also. How about some pictures of you trees?

If you will look at some of my past posts, there are quite a few.

Harry

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just read that you sold your trees and look forward to looking at your old posts.
I try to keep on learning and looking on the web at examples of what I SHOULD be trying to achieve.

Joe

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know this is so typically girl of me.... but do you name them?? I love koi... like crazy. We have a nursery here that has one of the most impressive collections in our state I'm sure... they had a coon get in the pond a few years back, and sadly lost over 300k worth of fish... and as you know that means not a lot of fish were killed, but some great koi were lost. I can sit forever and just watch them and talk to them... Eric has to hustle me along because I'm so infatuated with them. :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Harry, you'll appreciate this...

Koi #1 female shiro utsuri +
koi1.jpg

Koi #2 male sanke +
koi2.jpg

Koi #3 male ginrin sanke =
koi3.jpg

Tons of culling!
koi4.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is your secret to keeping the herons and other marauders out? I don't see any netting. So beautiful, the setting and the koi.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes LOL. It was from my "gee I wonder what 30,000 baby koi look like" experiment :)

omg... that's just AWESOME. :D I don't think Eric would let me get away with that. lol He's been beating off my 'lets get fish' requests for years. lol What do you raise them in?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow Harry that is great!!!! beautiful yard and pond.... and the koi are pretty HOT too :p :D .....

I can't put my finger on what it is... but something in the first photo seems a little off.... not sure ... </sarcasm>

++ on the envy meter... I hope to one day create a space as calming and soothing as that must be...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
What is your secret to keeping the herons and other marauders out? I don't see any netting. So beautiful, the setting and the koi.

Heron's need a runway to land and take off, my setting doesn't furnish that plus my koi are all over 28" long, to long for a heron to mess with.

Harry

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Harry , do use pond water to water your trees ? I started doing this and it seems to help.

Top Bottom