Another Hornbeam

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've collected these trees before. With no luck. I didn't seal big cuts. Major die back.
These aren't elms Toto!
So I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one that is interesting. Found it walking the dog.
It's also tough to find them with low branches.
It's popping buds lower on the trunk but not the base. That tells me everything will be o.k. When they bud at the base you know it's a last ditch effort to save itself. They will abandon the trunk and grow suckers at ground level. Then die or be absolutely useless.
Maybe a literati?
I plan on cutting the fat trunk off at a later date.20180519_121647.jpg20180519_121720.jpg20180519_121741.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you will struggle with that sling-shot trunk unless you make it the lead element of your design. If it were my tree I would get it really well established in that grow pot, and then do a ground layer right at the trunk split - leaving you with a nice twin trunk start. You will probably get a nice root flare there as well, which will help address the tendency for a sling-shot trunk to show reverse taper at the sling-shot.

You don't need to tell me hornbeams aren't elms - right now it is all I can do to keep my Japanese hornbeam alive, and my Korean hornbeams were greatly weakened this winter when... we didn't have a winter.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sling-shot trunk
One side is coming off later. I left it on for root growth.
The long sinuous trunk stays the short straight one comes off.
In its place will be just an uro.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One side is coming off later. I left it on for root growth.
The long sinuous trunk stays the short straight one comes off.
In its place will be just an uro.
What is a uro? I haven’t seen that term before. Is it just a synonym for jin?

Top Bottom