Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like Albizia julibrissin.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My understanding - difficult but doable. I have one potted specimen but I'm just letting it grow wild to build the trunk. I also have one in the ground.

Problems I know of...large compound leaves, susceptible to fungal diseases, relatively short-lived. If you do a google image search for "albizia julibrissin bonsa" you'll find some examples (though some of the pics are of similar appearing tropical mimosa). Bill Valavanis had a really nice one that can be seen at http://artofbonsai.org/galleries/valavanis.php (scroll down to next to last image).

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks totally not suitable for bonsai, but that's my opinion. But, have fun growing it anyway man, that's most important :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hear you man, it's all trail and error for me and that's the way I like it, and if it doesn't work I will grow nursery stock and sell it

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have probably 30 mimosas of varying sizes but they do take container culture well and are very vigorous so they give you something to work on. In my eyes they will never make world class trees but theyre fun and the flowers are beautiful and smell awsome.

Top Bottom