Another Irma rescue

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
12 foot tall Chinese Elm leaning hard from the storm, I intended to stake it but found that the ground was solid rock/cement about 2 feet down. Turns out the area was built over an old road and houses so I am guessing a lot of stuff was buried there. It was decided to remove the tree so I dug it out with ease and found that it a) was rootbound when planted and b) hit the hard substrate and grew out to the sides. So it was easy to remove intact. I cut the rootball down to about 6 inches thick and chopped the trunk hard. Should be a good fat elm tree someday.
DSCN6364.JPG

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
Not too much maybe 20-30$ sounds good on the others let me know

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine, I would graft one sucker in the edge of the callus, and cut the rest order to send the energy to the most interesting part..

power without control is nothing ;)

Greetings from Spain

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If it were mine, I would graft one sucker in the edge of the callus, and cut the rest order to send the energy to the most interesting part..

power without control is nothing ;)

Greetings from Spain
Not quite that skilled, I did cut a lot of the suckers out and selected the most vigorous one and a couple others, I am sure more will pop up.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The problem is that not only does the scion have to be active, but so does the stump. Grafting will not work on this tree unfortunately.

Aaron
It started to heal at the cut so I am surprised it didn't bud out. I think it might be cool carved into a dead stump with the sucker trained up. A least it looks like I can reduce the roots a bit.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It started to heal at the cut so I am surprised it didn't bud out.
If there is new tissue in the edge, you can graft there.

I think it might be cool carved into a dead stump with the sucker trained up. A least it looks like I can reduce the roots a bit.

Yes your might, the tree is yours, and yours is the decision, but, it is the best option? I don't think so :rolleyes:
I would use the energy stored in the roots in order to seal the big cut, and after, I'd tidy the root ball cutting back the unnecessary roots form aesthetic point of view..

cheers

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If there is new tissue in the edge, you can graft there.

Yes your might, the tree is yours, and yours is the decision, but, it is the best option? I don't think so :rolleyes:
I would use the energy stored in the roots in order to seal the big cut, and after, I'd tidy the root ball cutting back the unnecessary roots form aesthetic point of view..

cheers
started to heal then kind of stopped.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I’d sell it to that Ryan guy for sure. Definitely best bet for this tree... orrr root train it then sell it ;):p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last edited:
Top Bottom