Another Japanese Maple- what to do

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see a better shot of that lower wound, probalbly won't heal.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
As soon as I saw the tree, I thought that chop should be a uro, and you made it a beautiful although I might have gone deeper. Really nice tree though.

I like playing this game! I think it's far more useful to guess what work is going to be done, and then see where the two ideas differ.

Although I would try not be swayed by someone else's ideas, but I know that is not possible. Therefore I think not saying the idea until people have seen the tree and thought about it first is much more useful.

For any poker players out there, I can equate it to watching the WSOP with the cards showing or not showing. The not showing the cards definitely sharpens up my reading skills more than showing the cards.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Are you leaving the low branch for healing the large chop, or planning a twin trunk? Nice job getting rid of the field roots, what a diffrence in a few seasons.

Definitely a double trunk. As you said, the wound won't ever heal...time to break out the die grinder:).

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good stuff! Cant wait to see it in a few seasons, good luck.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yesterday, I made two thread grafts on this one and the wounds really dripped a lot of sap, so I said to my self, "time to repot!". The pictures are self explanatory, but I thought I should add that there are small roots beginning to grow in the areas that don't seem to have any:),
and I placed some small stones in between some of those bigger roots to spread them apart.

Attachments

• DSCF3118.jpg
    DSCF3118.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF3123.jpg
    DSCF3123.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCF3124.jpg
    DSCF3124.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 163

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Jaws down, sir. The plan was perfect, this tree is genuine, extraordinary, beautiful. Will follow it with interest.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Getting an early start, eh? I'm hoping to put off any repotting for at least another 2 weeks. I must not be fully recovered from last year!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Getting an early start, eh? I'm hoping to put off any repotting for at least another 2 weeks. I must not be fully recovered from last year!
Well, sort of... I'd love to be able to wait until the buds are really swelling before doing the deed, but the job and the family have yet to come on board with that scenario. Anyway, the 10 day forecast looked good, I had a 2 day weekend, the wife and daughter were out of town, the son was working on a project and sleeping over a friend's house last night, I was planning to smoke two five pound chickens today and would be spending a lot of time in the backyard anyway, and the hawthorn's buds were swelling which meant re-potting season was upon me. Simply put, all things in my universe had come into alignment and I would be a fool to ignore them...it was time.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I understand how that goes. Hawthorns are tough and start early. I've beaten mine back about has hard as you did, and had it freeze solid a few days later. It never missed a beat.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Dav Fav!

Looks incredibly real to me!

Progress!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So, I did a little carving of an old scar and a bit of hollowing, too. Since the large uro really makes the tree, it seems appropriate to add similar features further up the trunk. There will likely be more work like this in the future...I'm actually planning to eventually have an entirely hollow trunk. I'll have more pics once the leaves have dropped.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I really like hollowed gnarly maples, might be my favorite type of bonsai, @MACH5 has a nice one and this is on it way to be another goodie!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The overall aesthetic is a bit rough and gnarly and I like that: this tree has seen some shit and it will not be deterred!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg image.jpeg I decided to do a bit more carving today, before it gets any further into the season. I also connected all the uros inside the trunk. The heartwood will start to rot now and I expect to enhance the uros over time.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool fertilizer cups!!! How are they working out for you?

Scott

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool fertilizer cups!!! How are they working out for you?

Scott
So far, so good! I should have read the fine print in your thread where you discussed them...I bought 1" pipe which is a tad narrow, so they're a bit hard to fill and they tip over easily, but they contain the fert for the most part.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So far, so good! I should have read the fine print in your thread where you discussed them...I bought 1" pipe which is a tad narrow, so they're a bit hard to fill and they tip over easily, but they contain the fert for the most part.

Where are they discussed? Link please?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahhh, really not sure where to send you other then one of Scott's (markyscott) threads...most likely the one on ebihara maples. The cups are simply pvc pipes cut into 1-2" lengths that you pour your fert into...contains it and prevents the clogging up you entire soil surface.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

It's been discussed in a number of posts. Here's one, but there are others too.

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/so-many-fertilizer-questions-so-little-time.23063/

I hear you - the 1 1/2" is better for exactly those reasons.

S

Top Bottom