Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12

You go to that Maru workshop?

I wanted to go, but just too damn busy getting winter preparations done

Yes. It just so happened my wife was off and I was able to attend. I enjoyed working with Mauro. I’m going to get back to attending as many club meetings as my schedule will allow. Hope to see you soon!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. It just so happened my wife was off and I was able to attend. I enjoyed working with Mauro. I’m going to get back to attending as many club meetings as my schedule will allow. Hope to see you soon!

Nice and ditto

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tree is still going . Some dieback occurred after winter. I repotted again this year and did not decandle to let it get stronger.

View attachment 208251
So, why are you using a colander? The point of using a colander is you can let the roots just do their thing for several years. They won’t circle due to the air pruning effect. Repotting often, well, you might as well be using a nicer looking pot! And the pot would be more stable.

This whole colander fad has gotten WAY out of control.

Your tree is entering the refinement stage. Colandering is no longer useful.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In spring I felt it was overpotted in the prior container and the one it came was not vacant. I repotted it very late sort of as a last minute decision into a colander because of the dieback emerging and me wanting to look at the roots again. I just didn’t like the color of things on top.

I used a colander because it was the only thing I had that was the size I wanted. I would have preferred a pot but the ones I had were either too big or too small.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In spring I felt it was overpotted in the prior container and the one it came was not vacant. I repotted it very late sort of as a last minute decision into a colander because of the dieback emerging and me wanting to look at the roots again. I just didn’t like the color of things on top.

I used a colander because it was the only thing I had that was the size I wanted. I would have preferred a pot but the ones I had were either too big or too small.
Lol!!!

Well, it’s time to start buying pots! They don’t have to be super expensive pots (that can come later! Lol!!!). But anyone practicing bonsai needs to have a variety of pots of all shapes and sizes on hand.

That way, when it is time to repot, or pot for the first time, you can choose something appropriate. Maybe not perfect, but at least it’s not a mistake.

My experience has been when I have a certain tree, and I go and buy a pot for it, I find that more often than not, doesn’t work. Wrong size, wrong shape, wrong color, won’t fit the roots...

So, start collecting pots. Bonsai... “tree in a tray”. The “tray” (pot) is nearly as important as the tree.

Well, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit... but, having a selection of pots is really helpful.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let this one go this season and it was in need of some work. It grew well and was Very strong and healthy. I was pretty aggressive with it, probably because I’ve never been in love with it. It was leggy and in need of cutbacks to being the foliage in closer To the trunk. So what did I do? Beat the snot out of it...

Attachments

• 1365E5A5-8FC2-4CDB-920F-23F1DAC34EE7.jpeg
    1365E5A5-8FC2-4CDB-920F-23F1DAC34EE7.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 1C3242F1-9A9F-49E0-A067-40AC9FBB5C13.jpeg
    1C3242F1-9A9F-49E0-A067-40AC9FBB5C13.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 3C27B1C5-F47F-4BE4-8973-7C498EDB1C75.jpeg
    3C27B1C5-F47F-4BE4-8973-7C498EDB1C75.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 6A9D82A2-14F7-4C61-A74B-29ED8C2940DD.jpeg
    6A9D82A2-14F7-4C61-A74B-29ED8C2940DD.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 147

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let this one go this season and it was in need of some work. It grew well and was Very strong and healthy. I was pretty aggressive with it, probably because I’ve never been in love with it. It was leggy and in need of cutbacks to being the foliage in closer To the trunk. So what did I do? Beat the snot out of it...

Now it needs a little wire. Start decandling next summer, and it will start shaping up nicely.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now it needs a little wire. Start decandling next summer, and it will start shaping up nicely.

I agree about the wire and decandling next year, hoping for some back budding along the way too.. This is as far as I could get during my little ones nap, lol. my bonsai work is always rushed like defusing a bomb. Hoping to get to wire this one and one or two others over next few weeks.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is as far as I could get during my little ones nap, lol. my bonsai work is always rushed like defusing a bomb.
💯 I feel this! I don’t wire until after my 3 kids go to bed, and my goal is to be finished by midnight when I work a tree. Fighting the urge to go to bed along the way. 😆

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree about the wire and decandling next year, hoping for some back budding along the way too.. This is as far as I could get during my little ones nap, lol. my bonsai work is always rushed like defusing a bomb. Hoping to get to wire this one and one or two others over next few weeks.
Is this something new that took away some of your bonsai time. I haven't been around bnut that much and didn't see any post on your addition of the little one. Congrats.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this something new that took away some of your bonsai time. I haven't been around bnut that much and didn't see any post on your addition of the little one. Congrats.

nah not new. I have three kids 10 and under so bonsai work has always been a drag race..

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Decandled recently, trying a little earlier than usual this year. I’ve noticed that needles don’t seem to always harden off completely and still pull out easier than I’d expect by time dormancy rolls around. Getting good buds and should likely need to reduce to pairs soon.
EE4BF040-6FBC-4335-B4F4-3C46E3D1312F.jpeg531F0138-7B9A-40FF-BB46-FAD21A772078.jpeg

Top Bottom