Another large hinoki

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,this is one of my Hinoki cypress trees,it was purchased in a five gallon nursery container from home dept last spring,has a three inch trunk and great taper,still needs much work,i cut the roots a few weeks ago,so im letting the foilage run a little wild for now,im scared pruning might stress the tree to much right now,so it looks a little ruff around the edges,hopefully in a few years it will start to amount to someting nice,any help would be appreciated.Hopefully ill do some work a little further into the spring/summer.

Attachments

• hinoki cypress 003.jpg
    hinoki cypress 003.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 169
  • hinoki cypress 001.jpg
    hinoki cypress 001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 197

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello discusmike. I like this this hinoki very much...... I don't know if it will be helpful. However, I just posted, a thread about 30 mintues ago about the 7-8 year progression of my hinoki...

I think this tree is off to a great start..You can give the tree a break, say maybe a month or 2. However, if you let this tree go for a whole season, you may find you are left with a lesser chance of it becoming a great bonsai.

This tree will only grow from where it is green. It will not back bud. So when you wire, you will have to plan your wiring of especially sub branches accordingly.

Also, you will have to wire the actual foliage as well. These trees grow foliage tufts in kind of a vertical manner. Which means you will have to maybe twist the tufts, gently, to turn them horizontally. Also, pruning and pinching will help with this..

I hope some of this is helpful..

Rob

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info October,i like your hinoki also,i know what you mean,ive been pinching and pruning vertical growth,i think i'll try your method,this tree grew vigorously last summer,if it does so again,ill be pinching and pruning soon.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I like this tree, but there don't seem to be any branches on the front until the very top. Maybe you could move some foliage over to cover the trunk line a bit towards the middle.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do have one branch im thinking about moving around some.Thanks for your input everyone.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I like this tree, but there don't seem to be any branches on the front until the very top. Maybe you could move some foliage over to cover the trunk line a bit towards the middle.
Could you rotate the tree a bit to give it more of a branch in front? Is this the best front and leaning and rotation doesn't provide a better view?

Top Bottom