Another large-ish Bald Cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Awesome tree, Bill. I'm thinking the tree at the top of this thread would have to be a lot taller to make the flat top style believable. Any suggestions?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Today was the day to repot and carve on this bald cypress. Masses of roots filled the mortar tray. Lots of fine roots. I cut the bigger roots back much closer to the trunk. Potted it back up with half good potting soil and half used bonsai soil. It was a mix similar to this that helped the tree put on so much growth. I did some carving on the top and finished off with a little powdered charcoal in water. I also drilled out a few cut-off branch collars to give the tree the impression of being hollow. I'm undecided on whether or not to fill in the "see through" spots between the roots.

Not too bad for about 13 months from collection. The quick drawing is what I'm shooting for in couple of years.

100_2189.JPG100_2167.JPG

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like you are well on your way. Shaping up nicely.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Good job.?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, Nanuk. Normally I would wait another year to carve, but this tree seemed really healthy and should be able to take it. I figure if the tree took a 90% reduction in height and root ball size at collection, this little bit of carving won't bother it much.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It stands at 28" now, but I may let it grow a few more inches. With an almost 8" base, it could use a little more height. This tree is 3 growing seasons from a bare stump. That's why I love the "survivor " style. It gives a "finished" tree much faster, and is more interesting , in my opinion. The really old trees here look like this instead of the flat top style.

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It stands at 28" now, but I may let it grow a few more inches. With an almost 8" base, it could use a little more height. This tree is 3 growing seasons from a bare stump. That's why I love the "survivor " style. It gives a "finished" tree much faster, and is more interesting , in my opinion. The really old trees here look like this instead of the flat top style.
Thanks for the reply. I picked up a decent size baldy out of a reject pile. Im super excited about it but it's not nearly as interesting as yours, but the price was right 😁 Hoping as I nurse it back to health it will swell more at the base. Still trying to get a better idea of final height I want to go for.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1594082379685.jpg
    FB_IMG_1594082379685.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 45

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine is about 7 inches wide at the base and I think I left it at 3.5 ft tall. New I would cut it shorter but didn't want to go too short on the first cut.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_155634133_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200809_155634133_HDR.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 46

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In my experience, as well as two bonsai friends locally, there doesn't seem to be a limit on how big a bald cypress container can be. I grow the big ones in 20" diameter tubs from Tractor Supply or the mortar tubs from Lowes. One of my buddies grew a one from 1 / 1/2" to 5" at the base in less than 5 growing seasons. And, get this, the first couple of years he used pure soil straight out of the cane field on the edge of his property.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
And, get this, the first couple of years he used pure soil straight out of the cane field on the edge of his property.
I know you've seen the conditions they grow in in the swamp...the notion that they need some kind of fancy soil in container culture is just ridiculous. Once they get well developed it makes sense to put them into a more coarse substrate just to slow them down so it is possible to manage growth without ruining the ramification.

Nice development on your tree btw!! You did a good job dealing with the lack of taper.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, John. I've seen that cypress soil almost can't be too wet or too organic. Having put a few in bonsai soil, I've seen them REALLY slow down in growth. But that's exactly what you would want with a tree that's close to being finished.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Update on the BC. I've just been hacking away to keep the top dominance from getting out of hand and letting the bottom branches fill out. It's coming along, but has a ways to go yet.

View attachment 315233
Stunning tree given how recently it was collected. Love BCs, wish I knew a reliable and legal place to collect them around here.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Stunning tree given how recently it was collected. Love BCs, wish I knew a reliable and legal place to collect them around here.
Thanks, Arlithrien. One of my buddies just goes to Lowe's and buys small bald cypress and puts them directly into 7 gal tubs from Tractor Supply. His best tree went from about an inch to a 5" base in 5 growing seasons. Doing that, he can more easily keep and eye on the nebari and get a better base in less time.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks, Arlithrien. One of my buddies just goes to Lowe's and buys small bald cypress and puts them directly into 7 gal tubs from Tractor Supply. His best tree went from about an inch to a 5" base in 5 growing seasons. Doing that, he can more easily keep and eye on the nebari and get a better base in less time.
Is it possible to recreate that wide trunk flare from a domestic grown tree? Only ever seen it in wild swamp trees.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a hunch that flair is a combination of genetics, time and enviornment. Don't know what's the percentage of each variable. I am fairly sure that, working the roots at the right times will accentuate the flair of any tree. The flutes in a bald cypress base coincides with the strength of the roots at those locations. More roots equals less fluting. Fewer, larger roots equals more fluting. Can't say that for certain, but I think I've noticed that trend.

Top Bottom