Another lucky pick up, need advice.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

So last Saturday i got lucky as i spotted another neighbor doing their front garden, so when get out, the big boxwood(i think it is) was already on the ground, it was more than 2m tall with branches spread probably about 1.5m, they managed not to destroy too many roots, maybe 1 or 2 major roots disturbed only, it had really fine root system.
I had to chop it down a good bit, 2 big branches at the back ( cant really see on the photo) some other cuts were done some time ago i guess. So i cleaned it up, removed old soil and potted up in the crate, just to not to mess with roots anymore, i hope it will survive.

When they trying to dig it up, the bark has been destroyed by digger, should i put the healing paste on it? or leave it like that? does it affect general tree health and recovery? i would really like to see this tree surviving:)

Please advice

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those cut branches were just nearing a good size for next segment taper.
The back one may have been there.
But they were all too high anyway.

It's going to take a long time for those New things to catch up and become something visibly useable.

Leave it Bush out for a few. Those wounds will start to show strong callous lines if\when they heal, then you'll know what you can carve.

IMO.
Learn some things. Keep it rocking.

But keep your eye peeled for better starts and stack rank that one when you get lucky again. AKA, burn it. In the Mel Gibson Braveheart Voice.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Will it survive? Maybe, it is mid summer so not traditionally the best time to dig but you can only hope. Many species are far more resilient than "they" give credit for. I think there is a good chance.
I don't think there's much you can do about the trunk damage. It may actually go further than the missing bark. Bruised bark may not be torn off and you may not see it now but can be damaged beyond recovery. Just let it do its own thing for now and cross fingers. You have done all you can.
Some dead wood shari may even make the trunk more interesting for bonsai than it would otherwise be.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know its not the best time, i tired not to disturb the roots as much as possible, i hope it will survive, fingers crossed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When it is available is the best time if there is no alternative. Good luck and let us know one way or the other so we can all add a little more knowledge to the archives.

Top Bottom