Another Mirai Tree Sale in a few days

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know how many people here are on Mirai's email list, but Ryan is selling off another batch of trees next week beginning Sept. 1.

Got this message in my email a few days ago:

The tree sale is fast approaching!
Bring the spirit of Mirai into your bonsai collection with our annual tree sale, which runs from September 1st-5th.
A curated selection of trees will be available in our sale this year, including this outstanding Colorado blue spruce.
There will be a limited number of Mirai trees on our web store, and they will sell out quickly!

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I went back to last year's thread about the Mirai sale and dug up all the numbers I crunched (quote below). It'll be interesting to see if and how things have changed year-over-year with regards to the prices and the types of trees available. Bottom line is that if you want a Mirai tree, better open that wallet pretty wide.

The median price (half the trees cost less than this, half cost more) is $3,350. Along with the mean (average) price of $4,221, it shows a good picture of what type of buyer he's targeting with his products. The average price is higher than the median primarily because of the $14k tree and the $10,500 tree. If you remove the three cheapest trees and three most expensive trees from the list, the average price goes down to $3,788, but that's not too bad of a drop. It shows he has a good spread of prices across the 33 trees for sale.

Many are obviously sold already, but here's how many trees in the sale were initially available for you to purchase with regards to budget.

Your Budget - Trees You Could Afford

$1,000 - 1
$2,000 - 5
$3,000 - 15
$4,000 - 19
$5,000 - 24
$6,000 - 26
$7,000 - 29
$8,000 - 30
$10,000 - 31
$14,000 - 33

The biggest jump in number of trees available to you is from $2,000 to $3,000, with a budget of $3k giving you 10 additional options over $2k. The rest of the price jumps aren't nearly as significant, with the next highest being the rise from $4k to $5k that opens up 5 additional trees. Therefore, while a budget of $14,000 enables you to purchase ANY of the 33 trees for sale, a budget of just $3,000 is not too bad. $3,000 is only 21% of $14,000, yet 45% of the trees for sale are available to you. If you had the median price ($3,350) as a budget, then 17 trees would be available to you. If you had the mean price ($4,221) as a budget, then 21 trees are available.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Don't know how many people here are on Mirai's email list, but Ryan is selling off another batch of trees next week beginning Sept. 1.

Got this message in my email a few days ago:

The tree sale is fast approaching!
Bring the spirit of Mirai into your bonsai collection with our annual tree sale, which runs from September 1st-5th.
A curated selection of trees will be available in our sale this year, including this outstanding Colorado blue spruce.
There will be a limited number of Mirai trees on our web store, and they will sell out quickly!
Is there a link @rockm ? Do you have a pic of the CBS?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would be curious what trees would go for if it was an auction???
Last year, the cheapest trees went VERY fast. Like within a few hours fast. I imagine if auctioned they could go for more, because if you're already comfortable spending $3,000 on a tree, then what's a few hundred more?

trigo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I mean if you’re gonna charge $100 to walk through their garden , then take a guess for how expensive and up-charged their goods are
they charge 100$ just to visit their garden?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there a link @rockm ? Do you have a pic of the CBS?
I think it's probably this one.
1661357148903.png
It's weird, when I click on that link, it just takes me to the mirai homepage...I'm guessing it's a link to the sale itself, which is not active yet - so it may be a dead link until the 1st.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One good reason to buy pottery directly from the potter… if they didn’t sign any exclusivity contracts.
Exactly , which I have done and still do .. I mean that’s fine and all to have a platform to promote work which I think Mirai has done successfully, but exclusively just takes out so many potential people that lose out on limited availability.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you like these types of trees but theyre out of your price range, the next best things you can do is buy the material as raw stock, or collect it yourself. as for the styling part, he shows you how on mirai.

maybe Ryan is the only one with the contacts to purchase such material as raw stock? if the raw stock is still out of your price range that kinda sucks, but there is still the option of going yamadori hunting....

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Exactly , which I have done and still do .. I mean that’s fine and all to have a platform to promote work which I think Mirai has done successfully, but exclusively just takes out so many potential people that lose out on limited availability.
The really rough part is that buyers can’t ever resell the pot for what they purchased it at. Lot of crickets when folks post Horst pots on Bonsai Auctions.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The really rough part is that buyers can’t ever resell the pot for what they purchased it at. Lot of crickets when folks post Horst pots on Bonsai Auctions.
Funny you say that because I just put 2 and 2 together last night on the pot auctions on a specific buyer

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
That is what amazes me! Even at this price point, the trees sell out in minutes!
I sat in on a lecture once, it was for animators/comic artists but the advice applies to everyone in a creative field In this day and age with followers on social media and an online presence. All you need is a 100 die hard fans who love your work so much that they buy anything you release, and you’re set for life financially. Add or take a zero depending on the price of your goods and frequency selling 😂.

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Funny you say that because I just put 2 and 2 together last night on the pot auctions on a specific buyer
Ohhh that wasn’t in regards to any recent posts I know of ! But I definitely see a pattern of it in the past year or so.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you like these types of trees but theyre out of your price range, the next best things you can do is buy the material as raw stock, or collect it yourself. as for the styling part, he shows you how on mirai.

maybe Ryan is the only one with the contacts to purchase such material as raw stock? if the raw stock is still out of your price range that kinda sucks, but there is still the option of going yamadori hunting....

No, Ryan is not the only one with the contacts. Anyone can purchase trees from Randy Knight, Todd Schlafer, Backcountry Boys and others. Although I think Ryan (and Bjorn) picks over the best material….as it should be! I’m glad that the most advanced material is under the care of the most advanced practitioner(s).

Top Bottom