Another Mirai Tree Sale in a few days

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fact of the matter is that Mirai is the best bonsai garden in North America in terms of quantity and quality of trees. Case in point: the Best in Show tree from the Pacific Bonsai Expo resides there. And the Best in Show from the Artisan’s Cup. And the Best in Show for future shows.

The analogy to an art museum is a good one. I don’t think it’s a “slap in the face” to pay an entrance fee to the Denver Art Museum. I don’t see why this would be any different.

Next time I’m in Portland I will happily pay the $100 for a tour of Mirai.

Reaction score
Honestly I would happily pay 100$ to see a garden of the stature of Mirai especially coming from a place where there is practically no bonsai garden except for 1 park it’s some 12-15 trees

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Fact of the matter is that Mirai is the best bonsai garden in North America in terms of quantity and quality of trees. Case in point: the Best in Show tree from the Pacific Bonsai Expo resides there. And the Best in Show from the Artisan’s Cup. And the Best in Show for future shows.

The analogy to an art museum is a good one. I don’t think it’s a “slap in the face” to pay an entrance fee to the Denver Art Museum. I don’t see why this would be any different.

Next time I’m in Portland I will happily pay the $100 for a tour of Mirai.
I disagree with the $100 fee that’s all. Not a personal attack on any of you lol.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A tour with him and walk through his trees ? Yes a great experience… but , I think the $100 is just a slap in the face to genuine enthusiasts and practitioners.
Here is my take... how much is your time worth? How much do you make an hour? How much money do you lose from your business by taking an hour off to attend a visitor? used to do specialized welding, $100-150 an hour depending on the material. So if someone wants to come visit and talk to me, that's $100-150 that I lose from my income. In the end it is an easy choice, you want to go, pay the price, if you don't, save the $100.

I would love to hear from someone that visited and paid to get in to know what's included. If I had the trees he have there that are not his, I would be warry of letting anyone walk around unattended... you never know who would like to get a small cutting to propagate from a six figure tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my take... how much is your time worth? How much do you make an hour? How much money do you lose from your business by taking an hour off to attend a visitor? used to do specialized welding, $100-150 an hour depending on the material. So if someone wants to come visit and talk to me, that's $100-150 that I lose from my income. In the end it is an easy choice, you want to go, pay the price, if you don't, save the $100.

I would love to hear from someone that visited and paid to get in to know what's included. If I had the trees he have there that are not his, I would be warry of letting anyone walk around unattended... you never know who would like to get a small cutting to propagate from a six figure tree.
From what he's talked about, Ryan DOES encourage folks on tour to walk around attended--you are required to sign a liability waiver and to keep any kids on a short leash. He apparently also doesn't really say he will be part of the experience, so that $100 may get you a tour with staff. You're also warned to keep valuables near you in the vicinity of the garden (sounds like they have a meth head problem locally --stolen tree a while back etc.)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd also wonder if the $100 is per person or per group...He really doesn't say.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doing some fun things can cost money. Decent seats at a concert or pro sporting event aren’t much different.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I disagree with the $100 fee that’s all. Not a personal attack on any of you lol.
All good my man, didn’t take it that way at all, just have to throw my worthless 2 cents into the discussion lol.
Nah cookies and hot chocolate are probably 50.00 :D
Haha, fair point, Seems unlikely that anything purchased from Mirai has less than triple-digit price tag. 😝

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I'd pay a metaphorical $100 for a tour, hot cocoa or no, but $100 just to visit?
Personally, I respect the hustle. Alpha grindset.

Top Bottom